Rihanna, C2C deliver amped up new tracks

This week, I was introduced to some catchy new releases. Whether you like all the songs or just one, my goal is just to give you something to jam to while walking to class, “studying” in the library or really just anywhere!

1. “The Gold Lining”—Broke for Free:

I found this song on music website The Kollection after I was initially drawn in by the album artwork: the Golden Gate Bridge enveloped by humongous sand dunes. After giving it a listen, I knew it would be a song worth sharing.

Broke for Free, a San Francisco beatmaker, opens this song with a chill and almost beachy vibe, but then builds up the song by combining a funky guitar riff and a hip-hop reminiscent beat. It may sound strange, and frankly it is something I usually would never give a second listen to. But something draws me in. I recommend this lyricless song to fans of a band like The Postal Service, or, as The Kollection suggests, Explosions in the Sky.

2. “Remember Me (featuring The Weeknd)”—Wiz Khalifa:

I admit it, I love Wiz Khalifa, and yes, I knew who he was before his mainstream breakout hit “Black and Yellow.” In fact, he was a much better artist before he released his first studio album.

Yet after Wiz admitted to his fans (in so many words) that “Rolling Papers” was not an album he wanted to replicate, I was hoping for something that reminded me of the old Wiz I know and love.

This song, slated to be on his upcoming album “O.N.I.F.C.,” combines Wiz’s signature flow and lyrical content with an eerie beat that only Toronto crooner The Weeknd could sing over. Even if you’re only a little curious to see what Wiz is up to (besides being a daddy-to-be), I suggest giving this song a listen.

3. “Down the Road”—C2C:

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about C2C besides the fact that they are a renowned turntable group from France. This song was introduced to me by a friend of a friend, and it was stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

I would not even know how to categorize this track besides saying that it could be a song ‘90s group Jamiroquai would release that Justice would later remaster. Intrigued yet? Just listen — I (almost) guarantee you’ll love it.

4. “Diamonds (Alessio Silvestro Remix)”— Rihanna:

It seemed as if everyone was excited when pop queen Rihanna released her single “Diamonds” two weeks ago. And while I usually like Rihanna, I am not a fan of the original song. It’s too slow compared to the dance tracks I have come to expect from her.

So to make it more enjoyable for me, I was introduced to this remix. I could not have asked for anything better. All I want to do when I hear this song is dance, and I bet you’ll have the same experience.

5. “Just What I Am (featuring King Chip)”—Kid Cudi:

I completely respect an artist’s right to experiment with their style. But honestly, I don’t know one person who enjoyed Cudi’s experimental last album, “WZRD.” But since releasing this song and “King Wizard” from his upcoming album, the old lovable Cudi is back with a vengeance.

I like both new tracks, but I chose this song because of its trippy vibe and “Man on the Moon” feel. Expect this song to blow up and be played everywhere, so start listening and loving now before you get sick of hearing it!

jmorice@theeagleonline.com