Movie Review: Backwards

Grade: A-

You don’t have to be a rower to enjoy “Backwards.” Though women’s rowing is a major plot line in the independently produced film, the universal themes of sacrifice, ambition, friendship and love make it enjoyable for all audiences.

“Backwards” tells the story of Abi Brooks (writer and producer Sarah Megan Thomas, “A Buddy Story”), a rower who has spent her entire life chasing a seat on the Olympic team. Now approaching 30 and having been named an alternate for the second time, she quits the Olympic team and becomes a girls rowing coach at her former high school, the same school where her ex-boyfriend Geoff (James Van Der Beek, “Dawson’s Creek”) is the athletic director.

While there, she begins to intensively train two young rowers, Hannah (Alexandra Metz, “G.W.B”) and Susan (Meredith Apfelbaum) for a major race. Apfelbaum, a real-life rower, performed admirably in her first acting role. Metz, an actress with no previous rowing experience, did very well realistically portraying the actual rowing scenes in the film. The chemistry between Thomas and Van Der Beek made their time on screen together captivating and realistic.

The relationship between Brooks and her mother is a running subplot throughout the film. Her mother wants her to go to business school. Their scenes were slightly underdeveloped, but their arc was one of the most satisfying parts of the movie.

The technical aspects of the movie were surprisingly well done. Independent films often suffer in this area due to low budgets. But other than the occasional scene with some pretty quick jump cuts, “Backwards” could very well be mistaken for a major studio picture.

Supporting characters can often make or break a show. In “Backwards,” these roles were all very well cast, with the actors making excellent use of their time on screen. Of special note is Wynn Everett (“The Newsroom”) as Reba, Brooks’ roommate, friend and fellow rower. Although her role is small, Everett has a vivacious presence in the film that will leave you wanting to see more of her story.

“Backwards” sets itself apart from other sports films by telling the often untold story of an athlete who doesn’t make it and has reconcile their dreams with reality.