DIY studded shirt -Goodwill // jeans - Levis // belt - Express // boots and sunglasses - Urban Outfitters // briefcase  - Barbour

Look of the Week: Denim rebel

There is something about the middle of the semester that makes everything feel a little “been there, done that.” The new school clothes we bought in August are no longer quite as fabulous, midterms have us over-caffeinated and sleep deprived, and the D.C. weather is an unfortunate humid/wet/cold variety.

The next time you fall into this seasonal rut, push the envelope and break the “rules” of fashion to pull yourself out.

Andrew Purzak, a junior in the School of Communication, considers himself a bit of a risk taker when it comes to his style. On the day of his photo shoot, Purzak chose to wear a Canadian tuxedo with an unexpected personal touch.

“I had an old studded belt that was falling apart so I decided to DIY the collar with it,” Purzak said. “I really like to reconstruct my clothes and make something old new again.”

Purzak’s personal style emerged from a surprising origin. During his sophomore year, he worked for Abercrombie and Fitch where he found little inspiration in the clothes he was selling.

“I definitely went against the ‘Abercrombie and Fitch’ mindset,” Purzak said. “They have a few good things that work, but overall their image is awful, overrated and really overused.”

Purzak now works for Barbour, a luxury clothing store in Georgetown. He says that working there has helped to elevate and refine his style.

“I always have to get a little more dressed up than I normally would, but I’ve learned how to make this work with my individual style,” Purzak said. “I like pairing combat boots with blazers because I feel like the two can balance each other out.”

Purzak also attributes living in D.C. to the preppy professional pieces he has started to incorporate into his wardrobe. He says that investing in fine men’s accessories will add sophistication to any look, like his Michael Kors watch, which he said was an investment piece.

“I figured I would certainly have it for years and

years to come because it is such a classic piece,” Purzak said. “I used the same rationalization for getting my Barbour briefcase as well.”

When he’s not working on M Street, Purzak likes to channel David Bowie and Michael Jackson in his own clothing choices but looks up to a specific musical icon for her fearlessness in fashion.

“I love Rihanna’s style --- and granted she is a female ---- but you still get a vibe from it,” Purzak said.

Purzak works to translate this same fearlessness into his own wardrobe by building a collection of unconventional pieces into his wardrobe. He references a pair of American flag skinny jeans as his most recent purchase and he advises others to shop with a similar attitude.

mbeard@theeagleonline.com