Head to Toe
Hat, Vest and Dress
LF
Shoes and Backpack
Jeffrey Campbell
Socks
Urban Outfitters
Glasses
Prada

Look of the Week: Girly Grunge

The month of September can feel like a whirlwind for the fashion conscious. With all of the Instagrams, blog posts and magazine articles centered around dressing for the coming season, it’s hard not to feel overwhelmed by all of the “trend-spotting.”

So what’s the solution to this problem? Turn off your computer and shut off your phone, and you might just find a bit of sartorial inspiration in your fellow AU classmates.

Haley Bowman, a sophomore student in the School of International Service, personifies some of fall’s most cutting edge trends, from her dip-dyed hair to her flatform sneakers. Whether or not you like her style, her fearlessness for boldly wearing what she wants is universally inspiring.

“My outfits are always put together depending largely on my mood,” Bowman said. “I would say my style is messy, wild and mostly just weird. I go out of my way not to match, which results in a lot of strange looks.”

Bowman pairs bohemian and girly separates with grunge accents, naming spikes, skulls, guns, bullets, bleach and plaid as some of her favorite patterns and textures to incorporate into a look.

“I always find a way to combine the three styles,” Bowman said. “[The look is] something I like to call ‘scumbag chic.’”

Bowman’s edgy-meets-girly aesthetic applies not only to her sense of style but to her hair routine as well.

“I have always loved the ombré trend but I’m naturally really blonde,” Bowman said. “I won’t color my hair dark, but I wanted to do something cool, so I chose to dip dye my ends green.”

Growing up in New York City, Bowman was at first resistant to the fashion culture that surrounded her as a child.

“I definitely went through a lot of phases growing up,” Bowman said. “I hated clothing and shopping until I was about 13 — an attribute most little girls have when raised by their father ... I did the whole Abercrombie and Hollister thing, for way, way too long. It wasn’t until I found a store called ‘LF’ ... when I became obsessed with fashion.”

Now, as an international studies major, Bowman balances her love for clothes with her interest in Middle Eastern culture and politics.

“Honestly, it’s a weird paradox,” Bowman said. “Fashion is definitely a creative outlet for me ... but it doesn’t really match a lot of my other interests and attributes.” When asked if there was any trend she wouldn’t try, Bowman referenced neon colors and tiny clothing as a look she wouldn’t attempt.

“There is not a lot I wouldn’t wear, but I usually try to stay away from the crop tops with high waisted shorts,” Bowman said. “That’s not a look I think I could pull off.”

Bowman’s advice for individuals looking to make a statement through their wardrobe is pretty simple: Be yourself and wear whatever you like.

“I know too many people that don’t wear what they think looks cool because they don’t think they look attractive in it or maybe they’re too afraid to wear something so bold,” Bowman said. “Try experimenting with your style and I think you might surprise yourself.”

mbeard@theeagleonline.com