Fine Art for Free 9/13 - 9/19

Living in a big city can be expensive. But it doesn’t have to be. Every week there’s someone willing to feed, entertain, occupy, educate or annoy you, all for free. Fine Art For Free rounds up the best free art events in the coming week to help you stretch that paycheck just a little bit further.

Polly Townsend: "Slower Than This"

Flashpoint Gallery | Exhibition closes Sept. 13 at 6 P.M.

If you can make it before 6 p.m. on Thursday, British visual artist Polly Townsend’s latest exhibition will still be on display at Flashpoint Gallery in Metro Center. “Slower Than This” is a more introspective project for Townsend, which focuses on the interplay between photography and painting. Flashpoint Gallery is a fairly small place, so this won’t be a day trip. But if you’re looking for something to do on Thursday but also want to save money for dinner, this exhibit is worth a stop.

"Parks and Passages"

Inspirations from Berlin for Washington's Dupont Underground | Goethe Institut | Opening Discussion and Reception Spet. 13 | Panel Discussion Sept. 14 | Exhibition runs until Nov. 2

Does Washington, D.C.’s future lie in Berlin’s past? Curator Stephanie Sherman thinks so. Her new exhibition, which opens at the Goethe Institut on Sept. 13, examines the ways that the city of Berlin transformed unused or abandoned space into the artistic centers. These centers have helped cement Berlin’s reputation as one of the most creative and interesting cities in the world. The project focuses on the work of a group of Washington artists and researchers who traveled to Berlin seeking inspiration for D.C.’s Dupont Underground project, which aims to create a Berlin-like creative space in abandoned tunnels under Dupont Circle.

Arie Mandelbaum: "Love & Rage" / Katherine Tzu-Lan Mann: "Unquiet Kingdom"

Honfleur Gallery | Opening Sept. 14 at 7 P.M.

Anacostia’s Honfleur Gallery will be celebrating the opening of two new exhibitions Sept. 14, both of which will run until Oct. 26. The first, Arie Mandelbaum’s “Love & Rage,” is a series of abstract, mixed-media works inspired by a six-week residency in Anacostia. The 13 pieces in the exhibition recount experiences from Mandelbaum’s residency in his signature soft, pastel style. Upstairs, Katherine Tzu-Lan Mann’s “Unquiet Kingdom” will open, featuring site-specific, acrylic-on-paper installation paintings which play on the contrast between order and chaos. Each of the paintings feature a clash between tight, intricate patterns and larger, more chaotic marks.

smeehan@theeagleonline.com