D.C. Chillin': Celebrate the coming of autumn with the best of the District's fall festivals

D.C. looks the best in autumn (I love the spring and its cherry blossoms, but I’m a fall weather person). Fall is the best season for D.C. because every weekend is filled with festivals galore, celebrating all of D.C.’s amazing residents. Here are some of the best fall picks for some prime “D.C. Chillin.”

H Street Festival

Sept. 15 — Noon to 6 p.m.

Held in one of D.C.’s most vibrant neighborhoods, this year’s H Street Festival motto is “One Street — One City,” bringing together members of the community to draw attention to the burgeoning arts and entertainment district. This year’s highlights include an art car show, a preview of D.C. Fashion Week and musical performances sponsored by the Rock & Roll Hotel.

Turkish Festival

Sept. 30 — 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Can’t afford to plane ticket to Turkey? No worries. Head to D.C.’s annual Turkish Festival on Pennsylvania Avenue between 12th and 14th St. NW for a full day of free activities, from lively folk dancing and musical performances to arts and crafts activities. You can also enjoy other much-loved aspects of Turkey such as its delicious cuisine, tradition of coffee fortune reading and bustling bazaar (holiday shopping anyone?).

Taste of D.C.

Oct. 6 to 8 — Noon to 7 p.m.

Foodies from all over the District unite at Taste of D.C. where dozens of restaurants, food trucks and catering companies offer samples of their trademark dishes for minimal prices ($1 to $3). While you’re tasting your favorite morsels from D.C.’s tastiest places, you can watch over 50 different live acts, including musicians, dancers and chef demonstrations. Admission is $10.

D.C. Drag Queen Race

Oct. 30 — 9 p.m.

One of D.C.’s racier traditions, drag queens dress to the nines on the Tuesday right before Halloween to race each other...in heels. People start arriving as early at 6 p.m. to admire and gawk at their fabulously ridiculous costumes and score a prime spot for snapping photos. Afterward, winners, losers and spectators gather for an informal block party that lasts well into the night.

Crafty Bastards Arts and Crafts Fair

Nov. 10 — 10 a.m.-7 p.m.

Hilarious name aside, this craft fair is like Etsy come to life. Craft makers and artists from all over the country come to Union Market to sell their gear. From gorgeous leather-bound journals to snarky greeting cards and ironic sweaters, crafters compete just to be able to sell here by winning points for their originality. They then compete to win votes for the fair-goers’ favorite booth. Make sure to bring lots of cash and enjoy all the neat things you find while supporting small businesses.