Concert Pick: Florence and the Machine at Merriweather Post Pavilion

Florence and the Machine will be continuing her “Ceremonials” tour next week at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Md. The English indie band released their first album, “Lungs,” in 2009 that debuted at the number two spot on the U.K Album Charts, with its second album, “Ceremonials” debuting at number one in the U.K.

The band’s sound is a mixture of indie rock, folk and soul. Welch’s deep, trilling vocals combine with an assortment of instruments to produce dark, powerful, moving music.

The first single to reach America, “The Dog Days Are Over,” exemplifies the band’s unique sound. Welch’s belting, soulful vocals accompanied with clapping and piano create a catchy, feel-good song. Other songs to listen for include “Shake It Out,” “Cosmic Love” and “What the Water Gave Me.”

Welch is known for over-the-top fashion sense as much as her belting vocals, so concertgoers should expect Welch in a sparkly, dramatic getup.

English indie rockers the Maccabees will open for Florence, known for lead singer Orlando Week’s haunting vocals on “Ayla,” “Pelican” and “Went Away.” While the band’s new album “Given to the Wild” is a darker sound for the band, their songs still have an upbeat tempo.

Tickets are still being sold for $40 to $55. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 19, but plan to arrive early due to the show’s high demand. The Merriweather Post Pavilion is located around an hour and a half outside of D.C.