D.C. Food

Ready to dig into D.C. culture? Skip the museums and acquire a taste for the city by hitting the restaurants. With so many cultures in the District, D.C. offers a diversity of dining that satisfies everyone from the most picky to the most adventurous eaters. Whether you are new to D.C. or just looking for new places to explore, The Scene is here to help with the five restaurants that will make you a D.C. foodie.

Amsterdam Falafelshop

Middle Eastern

2425 18th St., NW Metro stop: Adams Morgan (Red line)

Get acquainted to one of the best late night bites that D.C. has to offer at Amsterdam Falafelshop. Amsterdam Falafelshop, in Adams Morgan, hosts some of the best chickpeas with a no-frills recipe. Do not be fooled, this restaurant is anything but simple. The extensive “fixin’s bar” provides hundreds of toppings and fillings to pile your falafel high. The best part about Amsterdam Falafelshop is that it is cheap. For the past two years, the shop has won first prize in ZAGAT’s Bang for the Buck department.

Taqueria Discrito Federal

Mexican

Columbia Heights | 3463 14th St., NW Metro stop: Columbia Heights (Green and yellow line)

Referred to as the Taqueria for short, it is a little bit of a walk from the Metro, but this hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant is well worth the travel. The Taqueria is all about quality, not quantity, as the menu is nothing extensive, serving just the authentic traditional essentials. Offering 11 choices of taco meat and four choices of salsa, there’s something for everyone and something

new if you are a returning customer. Try the $3 tacos with some chips and guacamole to make the most of your Taqueria experience.

Medium Rare

French

3500 Connecticut Ave., NW Metro stop: Cleveland Park (Red line)

Indecisive and ready to treat yourself? Try Medium Rare. With a fixed menu, you can skip scanning through dozens of options and get right to starting a three-course meal. At Medium Rare, $20 gets you delicious French bread, a simple salad and the classic French steak-frites in Medium Rare’s signature sauce. Still have room for more? Do not worry, they serve seconds.

Rocklands BBQ

American

2418 Wisconsin Ave., NW Metro: 31, 32 or 36 bus to Calvert St.

Rocklands is not located near a Metro stop, but it is easy to find if you follow the smell of barbecue. The restaurant has perfected every type of barbecue, from simple pulled pork sandwiches to ribs the size of your head. To experience real D.C. barbecue, order some of their famous sides. Choices include classics such as potato salad, macaroni and cheese, corn bread and baked beans. Every visit to Rocklands is sure to satisfy all your barbecue cravings and leave you full for days.

Pho 75

Vietnamese

1721 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, Va. Metro stop: Rosslyn (Blue and orange line)

From the look of Pho 75, you would not think of it as anything special. The set up is very minimalistic, with rows of tables and chairs in a cafeteria-type set up. It is not until you pick from the 20 different types of pho and try your first taste that you will realize what makes this place special. Bowls of pho are filled with different meats, noodles and one of the best tasting broths in D.C. Averaging about $7 a bowl, the soup may make you break a sweat, but it won’t break your wallet. Order your favorite pho with a Vietnamese iced coffee to create the most perfect combination Pho 75 has to offer.

kbreitman@theeagleonline.com