Consumer Report: The Scene’s guide to the best AU has to offer

Best place to study — Second floor of Bender Library

Don’t let the golden haze of Welcome Week fool you­—soon enough, it’ll be midterms season and all of campus will be bogged down with papers and presentations. During these trying times, there’s no matching the library’s second floor as the best place for heavy-duty studying. The second floor of the library is completely silent, perfect for completing some dense reading or studying for that big exam in the morning.

Be warned: there’s no compromising the quiet of the second floor. Wrap up your conversation with your study buddy before you enter and turn off your ringtone, as no phone calls, blaring headphones or heavy breathing will be tolerated by the floor’s other highly stressed occupants. But if you’re in need of an extreme study session in an equally intense environment, the silent floor is your friend.

Honorable mention — Battelle Atrium

If you’ve only been in Battelle to visit a professor’s office, you’re doing it wrong. The Battelle Atrium meets all the requirements for a perfect study space—bright, quiet and full of expansive tables with precious few people occupying them. When you need a break, visit the Lit Lounge on Battelle’s second floor, which offers tea, coffee and a bunch of cushy couches.

Best caffeine fix — The Dav

Of all the places on campus to buy a cup of coffee, none can compete with AU’s espresso mecca, the Davenport Coffee Lounge. Located on the first floor of the School of International Service, the Dav brews fair-trade organic coffee and offers an extensive menu of espresso drinks, chai, hot and iced teas, Italian soda and more, with a tempting pastry display perfect for a snack between classes.

The Dav’s renovations over the summer provide visitors with spacious seating and new drink options. But don’t worry—other than a fresh paint job, the Dav’s cozy look hasn’t changed. Whether you’re craving your signature nonfat soy caramel concoction or need a place for some social studying, the Dav is sure to become your destination of choice.

Honorable mention — The Mudbox/Megabytes/Einstein’s

While the Dav has the title of AU’s best coffee on lock, there are plenty of other options for satisfying your caffeine cravings. The Mudbox is the library’s coffee shop, and its selection of Starbucks coffee drinks, basement location and late hours (it’s open until 3 a.m.) are prime for procrastinating. Located under the bridge across from Eagle’s Nest is Megabytes, which offers Starbucks coffee and a sizable menu of breakfast options and sandwiches. If you’re heading to morning classes in MGC, stop by Einstein’s in the corner of the first floor. While the line can get lengthy before classes, Einstein’s offers hot breakfast choices and customizable bagels.

Best place to get hired — AUSG Jobs Board

The Student Government’s popular job board briefly went offline last semester after problems with spammers, but the site is back and redesigned to help connect local businesses and employers to students seeking jobs. New to the site are categorized breakdowns of the different positions, not all of which are equally represented on the site.

Students with babysitting experience: the Jobs Board is the place for you. The babysitting section of the site offers over 100 employers searching for everything from one-time gigs to live-in help. Outside of childcare, the majority of jobs offered on the site are administrative and tutoring positions. If you’re seeking a plumb restaurant job, Craigslist may be a better bet.

Honorable mention — CareerWeb

While the Jobs Board is stacked with employers reaching out for babysitting or administrative help, the site’s internship section is sparse. Luckily for AU’s internship-hungry student body, the Career Center’s CareerWeb service provides listings for hundreds of internships and professional jobs. Though almost every job discipline is represented on CareerWeb, students seeking politics-related or communication internships have myriad choices while other jobs are more difficult to find.

mmcdermott@theeagleonline.com