SUB to bring reggae-rapper Matisyahu to Tavern on April 28

The Student Union Board has announced that they will be bringing reggae-rapper Matisyahu to the Tavern on April 28 for their last show of the semester.

Like most SUB concerts, admission will be free for students who present their AU ID. But unlike most shows, students are able to bring a guest to the 7 p.m. event.

YouTube sensation Noah Guthrie will open for Matisyahu.

Born Matthew Paul Miller, the musician took on the stage name Matisyahu (meaning “Matthew” in Hebrew) after discovering and adopting Orthodox Judaism.

Known for his use of chromatic Hebrew chants and unexpected blend of reggae, hip-hop and alternative rock, Matisyahu arrived on the music scene with the release of his 2004 single “King Without a Crown”.

Since then, the artist has released two live albums, two remix CDs and three studio-recorded albums.

Over the years, Matisyahu has created a fan base within the Jewish community. In 2006, the artist’s sophomore album “Youth” went gold and was named the number one Digital Album by Billboard Magazine. Later that year, he performed a solo set at Bonnaroo music festival.

Throughout his career, Matisyahu has continuously managed to surprise audiences with his effortless tendency to make Jewish prayer sound a little less serious by incorporating rap, beatboxing, scatting, reggae and a mix of English, Hebrew and Yiddish.

The performer made news this past December when he decided to shave off his trademark full beard, which is considered sacred to many Hasidic Jews. Fans were surprised by the announcement, which he made on his Twitter account, but the artist claimed that the shave was a symbol of reclaiming his individuality and rebirth.

To add to this wave of media attention, Matisyahu also made headlines for kicking a photographer at one a show in Brooklyn, but later claimed over Twitter that it was a lapse in judgment and apologized for his actions.

Despite the negative media attention, SUB plans to gain the interest of AU students with their biggest show of the year. Whether you are looking for some enlightenment or just a tune you can dance along to, head over to the Tavern on April 28 for an unforgettable show.

kbreitman@theeagleonline.com