Look of the Week: Be Bright

Jacket

The Gap

Shirt

Hometown consignment shop

Shorts

J. Crew

Flats

DSW

Bracelets

H&M

Is it just me, or has the world gone from drab to technicolor practically overnight? Maybe it’s all the cherry blossom hype, or that one unusually warm day we had. Whatever the reason, I am wholeheartedly embracing this magenta, cyan and chartreuse color explosion. So cast off those dull winter washes and be bright!

Freshman Caroline Laub loves trying out unexpected color combinations when the weather starts to get warm.

“I like it when people pair turquoises with corally pinks,” Laub said. “Or really bright greens with navy. Those are my favorite two, I always love to wear them together in the summer.”

While Laub has always been a fan of big, bold color, she looks forward to wearing her bright solid pieces with a unique, of-the-moment item: patterned pants.

Although they may sound intimidating (aren’t patterns reserved for blouses and scarves?!), Laub gives helpful advice on how to make them work with any wardrobe.

“I would definitely wear them with wedges,” Laub said. “If you’re gonna wear crazy pants, you need some height, and just wear a neutral shirt or blouse with it.”

Laub also addresses the fears of those who may be wary of extreme color blocking or pattern matching.

“I think you can always pair together pastels and brights if you want something a little softer,” Laub said. “I also think pairing white with any bright color looks really good. If you’re nervous about too many colors, you can always experiment with fun nail polish or bright accessories.”

Nail polish puts the finishing touch on every outfit, Laub said. Her top choices for the spring season are Caicos by Essie and Cajun Shrimp by OPI.

“Nail polish is so much fun because you can change it up so easily,” Laub said. “It can definitely give whatever you’re wearing that little something extra.”

Laub remains on trend for this season by sporting an “arm party,” a term coined by popular style blogger The Man Repeller to refer to a large stack of bracelets piled on one’s arm.

“I normally wear bracelets that were given to me from different people, which makes me think of all my friends,” Laub said. “I also like to wear one simple, metal bracelet with all the colorful ones.”

With summer fast approaching, Laub looks forward to heading home for a bit of rest and relaxation, as well as some good shopping opportunities.

“At home, I work at a consignment shop at least once a week,” Laub said. “It’s fun because I get to see all the clothes that come in. I also love dressing the mannequins because it helps me get ideas for outfits I would want to wear.”

As the temperature continues to rise, Laub keeps one key idea in mind when putting outfits together.

“Just have fun with it,” Laub said. “You wear a different outfit every day, so even if you think you look really good but someone else doesn’t think you look that good, it doesn’t matter because you’ll wear something different tomorrow.”

mbeard@theeagleonline.com