Hungry for D.C. eats? There’s an app for that

Last month, I officially became a member of the AU student population: I bought a pair of TOMS and an iPhone.

Why it took me nearly four years to get with the program and purchase these two essential accessories is anyone’s guess, but they have significantly improved my life. (My feet are comfy, and my phone and iPod are finally joined as one.)

As a former Android user and sufferer of the limited data plan, I wasn’t aware of the multitude of handy apps for food lovers until Verizon blessed me with my current device. So here’s a list of the most scrumptious, useful and, best of all, free apps for all of the foodies out there.

Forkly

Forkly is basically the Facebook of food apps. By combining familiar Google and social networking features, Forkly is one of the most user-friendly ways to discover new and delicious things to eat.

The app has the ability to pinpoint your location and reveal pictures of the best desserts, main courses, beers and cappuccinos from 0.3-5 miles away. Say you’re checking out the leftover Occupy D.C.-ers in McPherson Square and want to know what’s good to eat around the area. Just click on the “Discover” tab, and you’ll find recommendations for the creamy shrimp and grits with spicy chorizo at Georgia Brown’s or the crispy calamari French fries at Lincoln.

Plus, Forkly offers a news feed a la the Zuckerberg creation, except it shows you the best dishes at nearby restaurants instead of your sister’s whiny status update.

Yelp

Since joining the league of iPhoners, I was happy to find my favorite go-to website for reviewed restaurants can be found in an even more user-friendly app.

From prices to sound levels to dress code, all Yelp’s details are available in app form on a palm-sized screen. Like Forkly, you can upload pictures of a tasty dish and a short review for any eatery listed on Yelp.

And an added bonus: You get two apps in one and can make dinner reservations on Open Table without leaving Yelp.

Roaming Hunger

Since food trucks have taken over the world, or at least the food world in Washington, it’s only natural that a food truck app exists. With Roaming Hunger, you can find out where your next meal on wheels is through the Google-esque mapping tool. Just click on Roaming Hunger’s mouth icon and see what’s parked near you.

With the list of food trucks condensed into one tiny screenshot, Roaming Hunger is perfect for those who are still checking the Red Hook Lobster Truck’s Twitter feed. Try the pork banh mi or fish tacos at the Sauca truck, which frequents both Franklin and Farragut Squares. The butter chicken at the Fojol Brothers and the pulled pork at Carnivore BBQ are delights that shouldn’t be missed.

How to Cook Everything, The Essentials

I nearly squealed when I saw that one of my favorite cookbooks (which I’ve praised in the pages of The Eagle before) can be found in the form of an app. Mark Bittman’s “How to Cook Everything” series has been condensed into several different apps, but the most handy of all is the Essentials edition.

Though the recipe index is limited on the free version, you can still find everything from pad thai to steamed mussels. The app is especially useful in the kitchen, particularly in moments when you can’t remember that beef stir-fry recipe and can’t quite make it to the computer.

kholliday@theeagleonline.com