Eagle Rants April 12, 2012

[Editor's note: This editor understands that it's finals seasons, which means stress and tension; but please, Ranters, follow the rules of Ranting, and please don't be hateful against people or groups of people. Conversation, criticism and view-sharing are one thing; outright profanity, hate speech, racism, sexism, advocating illegal activity and just plain cruelty are another. To the Ranter who once asked how many Rants this editor deletes each day, I take back my response; we've gone well over a dozen today.]

•@women choose lower paying jobs. additionally, you need to look up the statistics that show that (white) women have to have a PhD in order to make the same amount as a man with a B.A. That means that women have to shell out more for more than 4 yrs of education in order to earn as much as a man who paid for 4.

•@women choose lower paying jobs. this is effing bs. how many young girls say they want to be doctors, astronauts, lawyers, the president? how many of them keep those ambitions? it's because they get shamed into thinking they're not good enough for those jobs by society. I'm ashamed of YOU for buying into that bs.

•A woman with a weapon and knows how to use it. There is almost nothing hotter.

•I've got sunshine on a cloudy day, when it's cold outside I've got the month of May, I guess you'd say what can make me feel this way? my girl.

•I want to take your advice and just go with it, but my history keeps me from taking that leap. I wish I could be bold, but I can't.

•So Eaglesecure started sucking again on my computer when I was forced to change my myAU password. I was able to fix it by going into the command line. I wonder how AU students who aren't super-technical computer geniuses are supposed to survive with this thing?

•One is not two countries. One is not meat corrupting. It is important to stay sweet and loving.

•What most people don't know is, if you have enough credits, you can lower your meal plan. Last year I only had 100 meal swipes second semester :D

•I have never saved the world. I have played beer pong. I'm okay with this.

•what makes you think a bunch of anonymous ranters who are probably most all undergraduates who don't know you or your boyfriend at all will somehow help you figure out his mindset and why he hasn't proposed if you as his girlfriend can't. what gives indeed

•@"Our TA is making us pay for her services outside of her office hours. Is this right? Just wondering?" No. You can call the department and anonymously report her.

•Do I Have the strength to force the moment to its crisis? But though I have wept and fasted, wept and prayed, Though I have seen my head (grown slightly bald) brought in upon a platter, I am no prophet–and here's no great matter; I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker, And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker, And in short, I was afraid.

•stop hating on the Eagle/the editor.. it's their job, let them do it because they do it well [Editor's note: Aww thanks.]

•I wanna run through the halls of my high school, I wanna scream at the top of my lungs, I just found out there's no such thing as the real world, just a lie you've got to rise above

•You clearly didn't do any research if you think that women get paid the same as men do for equal work. Women's Initiative is not saying that a female teacher should make as much money as a male lawyer. WI is saying that a female teacher and a male teacher on equal ground should be paid the same. Multiple studies have proved that women get ~77% of what men make for comparable jobs.

•@person who didn't give consent- not saying anything does not ever mean it was consented to.. and about AU doing more to educate, if you took a look at Women's Initiative, you would see there is a sub-group called "Consensual" that is dedicated completely to educating students about consent. I would look there for more information and I am truly so sorry about what happened to you.

•@Dear SIS: THIS! Seriously, SIS you have your own building that's beautiful and new. Stop infringing on our space.

•Funny how a melody / Sounds like a memory / Like a soundtrack to a July Saturday night

•i've heard that AU is going on a witch hunt to dig up stuff about fraternities to try to get them kicked off campus in favor of fraternities that aren't as popular on campus but are loved by the administration. why does AU keep making up lies to get people in trouble and decrease the amount of fun???? this pisses me off...where's the transparency?

•@once you're pregnant, it's not just your body. It's my body now and forever. If there's something growing in me and destroying my body, I'm going to deal with it. And don't tell me "omg that's a living thing you're talking about"...it's not until it becomes an independent human being living OUTSIDE my body.

•@"I like you a lot too. We wouldn't hang out with each other if we didn't like each other, so all it would really be is stating the obvious. Which I would do, except that I'm afraid it would be awkward..." It's only awkward if you make it awkward. Just go for it.

•STRESS

•@legal guardian of younger brother: You sound like a really great guy. If your gf can't give you the support you need then there are plenty of great local support groups for family members dealing with caring for a child with autism. You should check them out. Good luck!

•@sex in the library: sounds good.

•Can't remember my own age. "Am I nineteen? I think I'm eighteen. yeah,I'm eighteen."

•I feel like I should've taken better advantage of the potential to hook up and meet people this year. In just a few weeks, thousands of students will graduate and I'll probably never get the chance to meet/hook up with them again...

•@won’t be donating to AU bc of eagle rants: I will be donating money to AU every time they call BECAUSE of the eagle rants. They have helped AU become a community more than any other initiative. They provide a forum for free discussion. They give a daily boost of happiness. And they show how smart and supportive AU students are. And they give alumni a window into current AU happenings.

•I can't take this anymore. By stress blood pressure is through the roof.

•I want to go back to my high school reunion, but I was bullied a lot during high school and Im scared that some of my classmates will still be very immature and mean. Should I risk going or should I skip it and be "that girl" who didn't go to the reunion bc I had no friends in high school.

•@using a credit card at TDR: I am also surprised at how few people do this. Newsflash: You don't need (not do I recommend) getting a meal plan. They rip you off. Just go when you want and pay with credit card or cash.

•@”I'm disappointed at the Eagle for publishing so many misogynistic, anti-feminist, and victim blaming rants. I'm glad to be graduating and i won't be donating any money to this university until we stop validating rape culture though student publications.” People like you make me ashamed to be an alum of this university. I’ve read eagle rants every day since the day they were invented and there have never been rants that promote “rape culture”. People who want women to be held to an equal standard than men while drunk are not promoting a “rape culture”.

•@”[Editor's note: In the real world, someone would just not answer your email. Unfortunately, we simply do not have the time and resources to cover every event on campus. Thus, we have to prioritize.]” This was a rather rude reply. Why not apologize and then say what you said.

•@ranter who thinks rants support rape culture: The editor rightly made you look like a fool by pointing out that the eagle frequent does women’s issues stories especially when it comes to the rape issue (probably more so than any other college in the country due to AU’s extremely powerful lobby from Women’s Initiative being part of student government). Please think outside your small bubble and learn to accept differing opinions and viewpoints.

•My life is stressful. I don't know where the hell I fit in. I got my music friends (I play sax), I got my nerd friends (RPG, Halo, etc), my floormates (drinking, shenanigans), my occupy friends, hispanic friends. Its so goddamn difficult, because I feel like I don't fit in anywhere. I have to focus on my goddamn GPA and how I'm going to spend my life, when I really want to focus on getting a girlfriend and who I'm going to spend my life with. And at the moment, noone wants to be my girlfriend.

•Dear (who I can only assume to be) freshmen ranters: You have made Eagle Rants suck. The majority of what you post aren't even rants, they're just political crap or statements. The last couple years had REAL rants. I'm sure you have stuff you dislike about this crappy school of ours, so stop arguing about abortion and complain. Sincerely, Bored Upperclassman

•Not to start a UC war, but the World Politics kids need to get over themselves. Seriously. Enough. No one else on this campus thinks you're cool except yourselves...

•I love the idiot hippies who protest events at this school when their hero Che said gems like “The black is indolent and a dreamer; spending his meager wage on frivolity or drink; the European has a tradition of work and saving, which has pursued him as far as this corner of America and drives him to advance himself, even independently of his own individual aspirations.”

•Why are you so talkative on words with friends but as soon as we see each other in public you shut right up? One out of ten games on words with friends ends up in a hook up and I want you to be that one!!

•Women’s initiative does not make me feel empowered. It only tries to make me feel like the world is a scary dangerous place full of evil rapist men. I look forward to the soon-to-be created conservative women’s group that will hopefully be much more empowering to women.

•@"How do I deal with emotional pain.." I find therapy very helpful. There student center on campus is great, and there are a lot of therapists in the area. It's good to just have an objective outsider to talk to sometimes. In a fix, videogames are pretty great too...

•I'm always scared that people will think that I wrote rants about them here. It's kind of creepy how familiar some of these sound.

•OIT used Wikipedia as a source in their email in addition to terrible grammar. EVERYONE SHOULD USE WIKIPEDIA AS A SOURCE AND CLAIM THAT THE SCHOOL IS OK WITH IT.

•@T.S. Eliot: HUGS HUGS HUGS

•@Night runner: See you tonight! :)

•It makes me so sad to see all the ragging on the Eagle in Wednesday's post. The Editor's done a good job cleaning up Knepper's mess that she inherited. The Eagle Rants are so interesting because we--actual students--get a platform to say what we want. I commend the Editor for not censoring those rants. It encourages debate and discussion. Now you can actually see how much work needs to be done on the feminism front at AU if that's something you care about.

•that awkward moment at phonathon when the person you're calling has the same name as your high school principal and you get really scared for a second...

•I sit next to a beautiful girl at phonathon.

•It has gotten to the point where the only point I am relaxed is when I'm at work. Because I'm not allowed to do school work then

•It's hard to believe this year is almost over...I have 4 weeks to figure out how to pass all my classes

•I am an Republican, but what's happening in Arizona is just plain wrong. Seriously someone needs to stop them. That abortion bill makes no sense

•I believe in God and believe in Jesus as my Lord and Savior. If you don't, then let's be friends

•Who wants to start a Fight Club? once we get enough members we will start enforcing the rules [Editor's note: Rule #1 - Don't talk about Fight Club.]

•Need to heal emotional pain? Jesus will take the wheel. Prayer helps...and tea...and green trees. [Editor's note: Hoped this editor edited your Rant right!]

•Welcome to the Emptiness

•Why are you so awesome? I'm weird but cool and so are you...how did we find each other? Thanks OKCupid, even though we didn't meet on there.

•Now that were good and lost lets party

•Why do I close up and get scared when you tell me how much you like me? The feeling is mutual, but it's always been a problem for me to share my feelings. I hope you can see how much I'm grateful that you walked into my life. Perfect timing.

•@ Whenever I e-mail a paper to myself to print, I write nice notes to myself in the subject line so I feel like there are people who love me and think good things about me. I know its late, but I do this too!!!!! From now on, I'll think of you as well each time I do this. :D

•@"Alright, half of the rants were about conservative women, liberal women, contraceptives, abortion- PLEASE, this is crazy." Shall we rant about men? How about them crazy boys?!

•Roomie, I adore you. And I get that you like talking on the phone in the room, I do too. But somehow your voice is three times louder on the phone than on real life.....

•@"TA is making us pay" Absolutely not. It may technically be legal if it's not her office hours, but it's rude and not why you should be a TA. There are other great resources-- the writing center, academic support, professors, friends. That TA just sucks. I ask my TA dumb questions all the time and he's fine with it. Better luck next time, and consider mentioning it to your prof.

•"you make me facepalm. relax a little. enjoy life" I love you.

•@"Lately, I've been going through some major life changes..." Those are pretty major, I'd be surprised if she was completely not understanding. Maybe bring them up casually in conversation, gauge out her reaction?I have no idea. But if I were her, I'd probably be worried but not want to make you more worried about the new pressures. She might appreciate you bringing it up so she knows it's ok to talk about.

•@"How do I deal with emotional pain without painkillers or alcohol." Art? Throw some paint around, get your hands dirty, stop thinking for a bit. :)

•Why does is everyone so effing annoying? I'm so sick of dealing with this.

•I don't understand why my prof has such a high rating on ratemyprofessor... He assigns so much busywork, his grading system doesn't make sense, and the essay assignments he comes up with are just plain dumb. I've never hated a class so much before in my life...and this is my favorite subject, too. :/

•sometimes i think my HIGH libido talks for me...

•All I want is to sleep, party, and for someone to hold me when I need it until everything is all the way better.

•While I appreciate the sincerity about the fact we only want to use each other for hook ups... the fact that you can't hold a conversation has made you lose all chances you ever had with me. If you're that boring in conversation you must be boring in bed.

•@"What they promote is the idea that women CAN..." Yeah. Sure. Tell me that Women's Initiative just promotes what women CAN do when they have an event celebrating the idea that women CAN choose abstinence.

•To the T.S. Eliot ranter: I want you here, please don't leave.

•Do you know what's a real tragedy? That WI thinks that people are ignoring the rape of women and that people "aren't taking rape seriously". Seriously? If anything it's women who are ignoring the consistent sexual abuse of men by fostering a culture where men are supposed to protect women, and where men "can't" be abused. Not only that, but it was incredibly hard to study during "Take Back the Night" and it achieved nothing than furthering the goals of the female circlejerk that is Women's Initiative. It is a joke that they get all of sexual abuse prevention money, and that they have such influence at this school.

•My boyfriend and I (long-distance) have planned on getting married for a long time. Now he's saying he's not happy, and he might want a break. Suddenly all that Vicodin leftover from my surgery is looking pretty freaking good.

•You're strong, reliable, and authentic, and you'll make it through to the other side of all of this.

•I took her out, it was a Friday night - I walk alone, to get the feeling right. We started making out, and she took off her pants, but then I turned on the TV... and that's about the time she walked AWAYYY FROM MEEE. Nobody likes you when you're TWENTYYY THREEE and I'm still more amused by TV shows; what the hell is ADD? My friends say I should act my age... what's my age again? What's my age again?

•Omnivores: please do not take tofurkey for the novelty, or I will carve a V into your face

•@The love for the La Cage and the Billy Joel lyrics posts: Thanks for all the love! I just saw La Cage earlier this semester at the Kennedy Center and loved it! As for Billy Joel fan, I've been nonstop listening for the last few days. I can never get enough of his songs! :D #proudlongislandboy

•I hate to break it to you guys, but the original free speech board wasn't taken down because of speech issues, it was taken down because people drew penises all over it. Turns out some college students still don't really have much to share with the public besides their genitalia.

•@Dear SIS: I was thinking the exact same thing. I realize that Katzen is a big space to put events. I do. But blocking several classrooms with tables all day is ridiculous. Half of those tables were not even used. They were set up around 10 am and were not taken down until around 8 pm. The fact that they don't even let students know what events will be happening when is very inconsiderate.

•Hey ANTH 225! Why do you stare like you have no light going on in your head. When the teacher says "Hey, there are no wrong answers" then there are no wrong answers. And I see writing notes, but you know thats not gonna do you any good in a class MOSTLY ABOUT PARTICIPATION! Stop wasting everyones time and participate, you are paying 50,000 to be here...

•I think that someone suggested a chess club a while ago, but I forgot to reply. Anyway, if there was a chess club, I would definitely join it!

•Why is this so much fun?

•The azaleas outside Kreeger are magnificent! I think the azeleas on the eastern back side of Kay feel jealous, since they're so little and dinky.

•I swear, one of my professors is creating some kind of Pavlovian response in me- as soon as I see the phrase, "Well, you're off to a good start!" I immediately know I failed.

••I'm a GW Student. An AU friend told me about rants, and I've been reading them for awhile. I have lots of boyfriend issues too. Am I allowed to rant? [Editor's note: Rants are anonymous so no one will ever know. Well, until you tell ...]

•Dear roommate, can you please stop changing your nail polish every single day. The fumes from the nail polish remover give me a headache. And I don't see why you think you need a new color every day. It makes you look like you have too much time on your hands.

•Why are guys so clueless? I wasn't looking for a genius solution, I was looking for SUPPORT! Why can't you just agree with me that I was screwed over and feel sorry for me and kiss me? Why must you launch into inferring that you told me so. I makes me feel very inferior.

•@everyone submitting poetry: Can we please cite who wrote the poetry at the end? I'm pretty sure ranting without citations is still plagiarism. And if you are writing your own poetry and want to remain anonymous, just sign it "self".

•I think the eagle should publish 'about me' information for every current editor editing rants. The ranters deserve to know who is commenting on their personal issues. (Btw this editor has been my favorite commenter so far.) [Editor's note: Aww thanks. The reason why Rant editors refrain from identifying themselves is so everyone has the space and privacy to share on Rants. This editor wouldn't want her classmates or friends to refrain from Ranting just because they know she's editing them. Make sense?]

•What am I supposed to be addicted to once Desperate Housewives is on the air? Does anyone have suggestions for shows that are equally as awesome as Desperate Housewives? (Besides Grey's Anatomy, of course).

•@everyone supporting the LDR support group idea: I've taken the first steps to try and form the group. Hopefully it will be up and running in the near future.

•I love you like crazy.

•@tampon ranter: I am equally outraged at the confusing labeling of tampons. I've started using the birth control shot so that I only have 4 periods a year. I haven't had any side effects with it yet.

•Why do I have so many pimples? It's so unfair.

•It's 4:23 and there are NO RANTS UP YET. Not cool. Not cool. [Editor's note: Apologies for the tardier-than-usual-ness, but please relax. This editor was down at the D.C. court all day covering two murder trials for her internship.]

•I am a transfer student and no matter how hard I try, just can't make friends. It seems like People in my dorm are never in the lounge and clubs meet too infrequently/just have speakers which does not allow me to interact with others. Is there any other way to make friends besides academic/sport clubs, dorms, and class?

•I've clearly been spoiled by morning rants...it's 4:30 and I need my fix! [Editor's note: See above.]

•Hey editor, You know that by taking extra time to edit rants before you post them makes you pretentious right? Who are we if not your humble subjects? I mean I understand editing the nasty and hateful ones but editing for content and pick and choosing? Where do you get off? [Editor's note: Huh? This editor's a bit confused at what you're asking. This editor does not edit Rants, merely deletes the inappropriate ones. (See link to rules at the top.) Clarity, please?]

Rant here!