AU’s Social Media Club held its second annual Social Learning Summit March 30-31.

D.C.'s Web-savvy meet for Social Learning Summit

AU Social Media Club hosted its second annual Social Learning Summit March 30-31 to discuss how platforms like Pinterest and Google Plus can be used after graduation. Over 300 people attended the conference and multiple panel hashtags trended in D.C. throughout the weekend.

Members of a panel titled, “The Digital Me: Personal Branding,” discussed how to prepare for the current job market. The members of this panel discussed personal branding via social media and ways to attract potential employers.

“Make people care,” president of the local organization Social Media Club D.C. Rachael King, said. “Show them who you are.”

King created a “living resume” on Pinterest. Her first pin was her resume and the subsequent pins were articles she wrote, presentations she’s given and her personal website.

Former AUSMC President Alex Priest kicked off the conference by talking about his experience working for Uber, a transportation company that responds to clients looking for a private driver within a city. Customers can access the service through iPhone or Android apps.

“We started creating this generation that’s going to be always on,” Priest said.

He said the classroom should fit the style of learning of the current generation in college. Using social media in the classroom would create an intense dialogue through which students, teachers and professionals could network within the expanse of the Internet, he said.

A senior in Kogod School of Business and AUSMC President Chloe Troia said the School of Communication is leading the way to get social media in the classroom, but “the more Kogod can incorporate it, the better.”

Participants were busy with a number of panel discussions on Saturday, with topics ranging from fashion blogging in the “Digital Runway” to using social media in political movements in “Tweeting for Change.”

The speakers talked about how students can use certain social media platforms to prepare for their careers in business or activism.

“Social media, Twitter, Facebook: they act as the brain,” panel speaker from Occupy AU Cody Steele, said. “They act the way a nonhierarchical organization can stay organized, stay connected and stay nonpartisan.”

Adam Zuckerman of Discovery Communications talked about “Social Business Success” and urged attendees to find which social networking platform works best for them.

“Figure out where you want to focus,” Zuckerman said. “Don’t get off track.”

Kogod helped advertise the event, and many speakers talked about the intersection between business and social media.

“[Social media] is becoming more and more integrated into business and corporations,” Kogod freshman Blaise Fairfax said. “It was interesting to see how companies like Nike do that.”

But even students have something to learn from the conference, Priest said.

“If you’re not in that world, not even dipping your toes in, you’re seriously missing out,” Priest said. “Because they are skills you are going to need.”