Treble in Paradise, AU\'s only all-female a capella group, hosted the sixth annual Acapalooza in the Kay Spiritual Life Center on April 13.

AU hosts Acapalooza, raises money for charity group D.C. CHIME

Nine a capella groups from across the country perform for packed house

Clarification appended

Spirits were lifted in a whole new way at Kay Spiritual Life Center on April 13, as nine a capella groups performed for the sixth annual Acapalooza.

Hosted by the ladies of Treble in Paradise, Acapalooza raised money for community group D.C. Chime, which works to help keep music education programs in schools throughout the District. Those who attended the event were encouraged to donate about $3 to the cause.

This year’s sixth annual event marked one of the largest yet. Acapalooza showcased nine groups in total, including AU’s own Treble in Paradise, Dime a Dozen, On a Sensual Note and Blends with Benefits. Featured guest groups included the Georgetown University Phantoms, University of Maryland’s Generics, Ohio University’s Leading Tones, James Madison University’s Overtones and University of Delaware University’s Y Chromes.

The biggest Acapalooza yet also brought some big crowds, as groups performed to a completely packed audience. No seat was left unclaimed and students began to find space to sit in the aisles and along the walls.

The night opened with a performance by Treble in Paradise, who proved themselves as the only all-female group by performing a mashup of every girl’s guilty pleasure songs: “We Found Love” performed by soloist Nozomi Kitamura (Kogod School of Business 2015) and “Call Me Maybe” performed by Courtney Bettridge (College of Arts and Sciences 2012). Throughout the night, Treble in Paradise continued to deliver with songs such as “When Love Takes Over,” featuring soloist Amy Wilson (CAS 2013), “Domino,” featuring Sarah King (CAS 2014) and a mashup of Adele’s “Rumor Has It” and “Someone Like You” performed by soloists Maddy Brady (School of Communication 2014) and Abigail Frost (School of International Service 2015).

Also representing AU was Dime a Dozen, who sang a hauntingly beautiful performance of The Beatles’ “Because.” Dime a Dozen also blew fans away with their rendition of “Little Lion Man” by Mumford and Sons, as their vocals took on the difficult task of nailing the fast paced background.

Blends with Benefits reintroduced the audience to Linkin Park in a new and interesting way with performances of “What I’ve Done,” sung by soloist Maggie McGuire, “In the End,” sung by Nikki Del Casale and Max Gold, “Numb,” sung by Nate Cover and Naomi Barker and “Breaking the Habit,” performed by soloist Leo Piscioneri, backed by the harmony of Marley Cook and the vocal percussions of Cover and Del Casale. They also sang "Somebody That I Used to Know."

On a Sensual Note chose to sing what seemed to be an audience favorite with a performance of R-Kelly’s “Remix to Ignition” featuring soloist José Morales (School of Public Affairs 2013). After showcasing the quirkiness which they are known for, the group switched things up with a beautiful performance of Queen’s “Somebody to Love,” featuring soloist Adam Bradley (SPA 2014).

A few of the featured guest groups also managed to win over the audience.

Georgetown University’s Phantoms blew the audience away with back-to-back amazing performances of Lady GaGa’s “Bad Romance,” the Dixie Chicks’ “Not Ready to Make Nice” and the Civil War’s soulful single “Barton Hallow.”

Another fan favorite was the University of Maryland Generics, who brought the audience to their feet with their vocals and dance moves. The group performed Trey Songz’s “Bottoms Up,” among others.

By the end of the night, Acapaloooza raised over $400 for D.C. Chime and proved that in a current music world filled with electronics and synthesizers, nothing can really beat the sound of true vocals.

Clarification: Blends with Benefits also sang "Somebody I Used to Know." Gold also performed a solo on "In the End," Barker on "Numb" and Cook on "Breaking the Habit."

kbreitman@theeagleonline.com