Thrifted Cardigan
Christian Dior
Thrifted Polo
L.L. Bean
Jeans
Uniqlo
Boots
Red Wing

Look of the Week: Menswear for Spring

When it comes to men’s fashion, there is a lot more to putting a look together than meets the eye. With spring just around the corner, the time is right to ditch the old high school tees and upgrade to something more your age and less your shoe size.

Tyler Brown, a sophomore studying public health in the College of Arts and Sciences, keeps his style simple and sophisticated year-round by balancing his wardrobe between second-hand pieces and investment items.

“My style is very relaxed and preppy,” Brown said. “I am always inspired by the style of old men walking down the street. They own years on years of clothes, so they’re always wearing the coolest stuff.”

He cites local thrift stores like Goodwill, Montgomery County Thrift, Georgia Avenue Thrift and Reddz as essential places to stock items for his wardrobe.

“I love finding men’s shirts and cardigans at thrift stores,” Brown said. “I’ll buy my jeans, sunglasses and shoes full price because they’re good investment pieces.”

The warmer months also mean packing away your heavy jeans and opting for a lighter approach when it comes to pants. Brown gives some guidelines on how to keep your look polished in the heat.

“Guys should never wear cargo shorts,” he said. “Jorts (jean shorts) are only OK if you know what to pair them with. Chino shorts are ideal, because they look exactly like cargo shorts except without the pockets. And definitely no pleats.”

Brown also suggests transitioning footwear from wet weather boots to flip-flops, Sperrys and sneakers during the spring season. However, he gives an adamant reminder that not every shoe is appropriate for every occasion.

“Stop wearing your tennis shoes everywhere, unless you’re an athlete and you’re going to practice,” Brown said. “Invest in nicer shoes, people actually pay attention to your feet sometimes.”

While Brown likes to maintain his own personal style, he does acknowledge a few trends he is looking forward to trying as the temperature rises.

“I could see myself rocking a pair of pink chinos with a denim button down,” said Brown. “I’m also all about the sunglasses that flip up with the hinges on them. In my opinion, those are a very hot-to-get item for spring.”

Although seasonal trends come and go, there is one must-have item Brown believes will always remain current.

“Invest in a full-length mirror, that’s a big deal,” Brown said. “It’s important that you’re fully aware of proportions and fit before you leave the house.”

Throughout the changing seasons, Brown stands by the idea that men’s fashion can be as expressive as women’s.

“With men’s fashion, while, yes, it is a bit more limited than women’s in the most conventional sense, I believe you’re really only as limited as you let yourself,” Brown said. “You’re only as limited as your closet.”

mbeard@theeagleonline.com