D.C. Chillin': Spring Break

While some of your friends may be heading back home for spring break, going on an alternative break or living it up in [insert tropical destination here], some of us (myself included) are stuck in the nation’s capital next week.

Instead of being down in the dumps, get excited for five whole days of free time to explore everywhere in D.C. that you have not had the time to take advantage of this semester. By following this must-do guide, you can make this week one of your best spring breaks.

Try a New Bite

With TDR closed during spring break, take this as an opportunity for a culinary expedition into D.C.’s restaurant scene. Try Shophouse, Chipotle’s new Southeast Asian street food concept store. (The banh mi with chicken/pork meatballs is out of this world.)

If you’re in the mood for a fancy dinner, make reservations for Founding Farmers, a nationally renowned restaurant that strives to bring the best locally sourced products to be incorporated into their menu. Be sure to order their Popcorn of the Day.

For our animal lovers, try Sticky Fingers Bakery, a vegan bakery in Columbia Heights whose cupcakes have won Food Network’s show “Cupcake Wars” not once, but twice. Animal friendly AND delicious? Win.

Fun Fact Finding

Maybe you already have a favorite museum after exploring D.C. during Welcome Week or prior visits to the city (mine is the Museum of Natural History), but during this spring break, how about showing the lesser-known museums some love?

Try the Postal Museum with its insanely large collection of stamps, or the American Art Museum to see an original Georgia O’Keefe or the Annie Leibovitz exhibit before it closes.

For information on these museums, visit www.si.edu/Museums

Biking and Bagels

One of the most beautiful and well-maintained bike trails runs right near AU’s campus: the Capital Crescent Trail. This trail runs from Georgetown to Bethesda and is open to runners, bikers and rollerbladers. The closest trail entrance for AU students is at the end of Arizona Avenue and goes for six miles before reaching lovely downtown Bethesda.

After sweating through that bike ride (or run or rollerblading session), treat yourself to a Georgetown cupcake or a Bethesda Bagel. You’ve earned it.

For more information on the Capital Crescent Trail, visit www.cctrail.org.

Turn a New Page

For the students looking for a more mellow break, try searching D.C.’s fantastic bookstores for literary work to devour during your free, albeit limited, time this spring break. Student favorites include Kramerbooks & Afterwords Café in Dupont Circle, Barnes & Noble in Georgetown or Busboys & Poets in U Street.

Whether it’s rereading an old favorite, trying out a suggestion from a friend or reading “Hunger Games” before the movie comes out later this month, kick back and relax with a good book over your spring break.