Look of the Week: Back to Basics

BLOUSE

Urban Outfitters

SWEATER

H&M

TIGHTS

Target

BOOTS

Franco Sarto

Is it just me or has the weather been a little unpredictable lately? This range of elements — first sun, then rain, then snow, then sun again — as well as the crazy fluctuating temperatures has got my wardrobe crying out for a bit of balance.

Paige Leong, a sophomore studying sociology in the College of Arts and Science, sticks to the basics during seasonal transitions.

“I definitely think it’s easier to transition from winter to spring with basic pieces,” Leong said. “I really love wearing brightly colored clothes that are easy to mix and match.”

Leong creates a flexible wardrobe by collecting staples for her closet such as simple cotton mini skirts and chunky knit sweaters that she can layer. She is also an avid fan of the colorblocking trend, keeping her closet stocked with a variety of solid, brightly colored garments.

“I think it’s important to be able to easily put together an outfit with any of the items in your closet,” says Leong.

During high school, Leong found style inspiration while interning for her aunts, who work in the fashion industry in New York City.

“I like the way fashion in New York can look so effortless,” Leong said. “New Yorkers look like they roll out of bed looking good — that’s what I try to model my own sense of style after.”

While Leong frequents affordable retailers like H&M and Express, she acknowledges the importance of splurging on items that will complement her wardrobe throughout the seasons.

“I just invested in a pair of light brown, knee high Franco Sarto riding boots,” she said. “They were definitely a splurge, but I am obsessed with them and I wear them almost everyday. They go with everything!”

The Franco Sarto boots are just one of the numerous pairs of beloved shoes in Leong’s closet. She admits that shoes are her biggest weakness, especially when it comes to high heels.

“I have a huge collection of heels in my closet,” she said. “Some of my favorites include my nude pumps by Jessica Simpson, my black and silver wedges from Aldo and my camel suede knee-high boots by Sam Edelman.”

Although Leong likes to keep her look simple and understated, she uses accessories and shoes to give her outfits some extra personality. When sporting a more monotone ensemble, Leong relies on her collection of heels to bring an outfit to life.

“If I’m wearing all black, I’ll put on a brightly colored pair of shoes or handbag to give that pop of color,” she said.

Regardless of tomorrow’s forecast, Leong will continue to rock a basic and sophisticated style as the semester progresses. She looks forward to spring, not only for the lighter dresses and sandals, but also the change in campus atmosphere.

“I am so excited for the flowers and the nice weather,” shes aid. “I definitely miss hanging out on the Quad. During the spring, everyone seems a lot happier to be on campus.”

Baby, it's cold outside. Let @TheEagleOnline know what you're rocking this winter.