Head over to eateries like Bayou Bakery to get a traditional king cake.

Let the Good Times Roll: Mardi Gras in D.C.

By far one of my favorite holidays, Mardi Gras (“Fat Tuesday” in French for the Francophiles out there) is a day dedicated to letting loose and pigging out on all the best food before the austere season of Lent begins with Ash Wednesday.

First celebrated in Mobile, Ala., but popularized in New Orleans, this day consists of fried food, parade fanfare and tons and tons of beads.

The colors of Mardi Gras — purple, yellow and green — adorn places all around the South; schools shut down for the day; and lavish parades and galas allow everyone to have a rip-roaring good time.

D.C. Chillin’ brings you a guide to celebrating Mardi Gras D.C. style.

Eat up Cajun style!

Eating the most gluttonous foods possible (so much fried food) is one of the best parts of Mardi Gras. For authentic New Orleans style food, head to Bayou Bakery (accessible via the Courthouse Metro stop).

Louisiana native David Guas, renowned for his Cajun cuisine, opened this restaurant that is famous for amazing biscuits (get them with the red pepper jelly — not to be missed) and beignets, classic fried doughnuts covered in powdered sugar, which make you feel like you’re in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

But especially for the Mardi Gras festivities, this bakery makes a traditional king cake, a delectable treat resembling coffee cake covered in icing and purple, yellow and green sprinkles. Find the plastic baby Jesus, coin or bean inside and you’ll have good luck for the rest of the year (and you have to buy next year’s cake too!)

For more information, visit bayoubakeryva.com

Parade Time!

After grabbing some delicious king cake, attend the Washington area’s largest Mardi Gras festival tonight for free at the Clarendon Courthouse, accessible via the Courthouse Metro stop.

More than 40 homemade floats wind down Wilson Boulevard to show off their community spirit and throw a great festival.

The parade begins at 8 p.m. but come early to get a prime spot along the parade route and to catch beads and Moonpies. Be sure to wear purple, yellow and green along with a great mask or costume. The better the mask, the more beads you get.

For more information, visit clarendon.org

Get your Gear!

During Mardi Gras, costumed people throw beaded necklaces to spectators, and ball-goers adorn themselves with fanciful masks. Costumes are appreciated (like a springtime Halloween).

To get beads, masks and costumes, head to Total Party in Georgetown. This store has plenty of Mardi Gras themed beaded necklaces, masquerade masks and costumes to wear to your Mardi Gras festivities.

For more information on hours and location, visit totalparty.us/location