From Kanye West to Adele, Grammys offer best music

This year, the 54th annual Grammy Awards are sure to hit some high and low notes as the biggest night for music will be held Feb. 12.

It seems that so far the Grammys have been offering some questionable choices. CBS decided that this year’s host to introduce the most talked about names in the music industry should be, ironically, one of the least talked about men in 2011: LL Cool J.

As if that isn’t sad enough that LL Cool J will be hosting, he is also the first official host of the Grammys in seven years. Really music industry, you couldn’t find anyone else to host the most star studded music event in the year?

Despite the disappointing appointment of a host, the Grammy awards nominations, which were released Nov. 30, seem to offer some of the best names of the past year.

Kanye West has received the most nominations, earning seven including Song of the Year, Best Rap Song and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration for “All of the Lights,” Best Rap Performance and Best Rap Song for “Otis” and Best Rap Album for “Watch the Throne.” Still, fans have been disappointed that “Watch the Throne,” which was released earlier this year in collaboration with Jay-Z, was not nominated for the coveted Album of the Year.

Runner-ups for nominations include Bruno Mars, Foo Fighters and Adele, each earning six nominations. Radiohead, Skrillex and Lil Wayne all follow closely behind with five nominations each.

Nominees this year for the much-awaited Album of the Year title are Adele for “21,” the Foo Fighters for “Wasting Light,” Lady Gaga for “Born this Way,” Bruno Mars for “Doo-Wops & Hooligans” and Rihanna for “Loud.”

New to the music scene, The Band Perry, Bon Iver, J. Cole, Nicki Minaj and Skrillex have all been nominated for best new artist. Usually the list of these nominees is among the most awaited of the Grammys, but this year the line up seems to be a little random. Also worth mentioning is last year’s surprise win by jazz artist, Esperanza Spalding, upsetting Beliebers and Drake fans everywhere.

Presenters for these awards will include Jack Black, Drake, Fergie, Dierks Bentley, Miranda Lambert, Gwyneth Paltrow and Ringo Starr.

Performers will include Adele, Foo Fighters, Bruno Mars, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Paul McCartney, Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. Artist pair-ups will include Jason Aldean performing for the first time on the Grammy’s with Kelly Clarkson, and Glen Campbell performing with The Band Perry and Blake Shelton.

Along with being a performer, Paul McCartney will also receive this year’s MusicCare’s Person of the Year award — as if knighthood wasn’t enough.

Bon Iver will not be performing at the Grammys this year, or maybe any year for that matter. Recent interviews with Justin Vernon, the front man for the critically acclaimed alternative group, said the band stood up the Grammy’s by refusing to play during the awards ceremony. Vernon claimed the group wanted to play their own music instead of a collaboration or cover for the show.

All in all, the Grammy’s are sure to offer their fair share of amazing performances, touching wins and outfits that will have you wishing you had a disposable income. Of course, there are always some questionable performances, wins and outfits, but that is part of the reasons to tune in.

kbreitman@theeagleonline.com