SASA Culture Show

For a couple hours on the evening of Friday, Oct. 21, the Tavern was the hub of a wave of South Asian cultural festivities. The South Asian Student Association put on JALWA “Aal Izz Well” Culture Show, an event encompassing fashion, food, culture and talent. The show was dedicated to those affected by the floods in South Asia and all proceeds and donations went to Oxfam America. SASA said they picked Oxfam America because it can reach a number of countries, like Pakistan, Bangladesh and India and works with different projects, both long term and short term.

The event began with a buffet in the Butler Board Room and was followed by a talent and fashion show in the Tavern. The show featured many different South Asian dance styles like the Bharatanatyam, Kathak, Gajaga Vannam and Bollywood including a performance by AU Bhangra. There were also singing performances of both South Asian and American songs including a duet by Hana Bushra and Udit Thakur.

“It was actually really cool because everyone was embracing other cultures and able to enjoy something that they may not understand,” said Anuj Gupta, Publicist of SASA.

All members of the AU and D.C. community were invited to perform including an appearance by Harleen Kaur Sohi of the George Washington University Indian Student Association.

“We don’t really have relationships with other schools [yet] but as a SASA club we decided that we wanted to try to establish a relationship,” Gupta said.

Currently SASA is working with other D.C. area schools like George Mason, University of D.C., Maryland and GW for future events.

Gupta encourages all to attend future SASA meetings and to keep watch for events coming in the spring like the Holi Festival, a celebration of the arrival of Spring. The goal of SASA is “to promote South Asian cultures, [and] everyone is welcome to enjoy it,” Gupta said.

msutton@theagleonline.com