Movie review: A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas 3D

Grade: A- | 90 minutes

Christmas is a time for friends and family to come together and celebrate. Now, throw in a scorched Christmas tree, Neil Patrick Harris and some “Winter Wonderweed” and you’ve got this year’s most anticipated 3D spectacular, “A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas.”

Throughout the Harold and Kumar movies, the duo has taken fans from White Castle to Guantanamo Bay, and now they’re back to Harold’s front doorstep. But when a surprise gift is delivered, leading Harold’s father-in-law’s prized Christmas tree to burst into flames, another epic adventure of herbal proportions takes place, and this time not even Santa is safe.

“After the first movie people expected another road picture, so we decided make the second movie a political satire,” said John Cho, who plays Harold, in an interview with the Eagle. “For our third movie, we decided to take a left turn and do the more subversive thing, which was to take on something more traditional and make a Harold and Kumar picture out of a very traditional American genre.”

Although the genre may be traditional, this movie’s take on Christmas is anything but boring.

The movie starts with Harold and Kumar at ends with one another, as Harold has long since moved out of Kumar’s apartment and the duo lost contact with each other, leaving fans worried about the fate of the two infamous friends.

But this does not last long.

In a race against the clock to fix the Christmas that Harold and Kumar have single-handedly destroyed, the two find themselves fighting off a notorious gang, performing in a Christmas musical, accidentally shooting Santa and rehashing their friendship along the way.

“It can be seen as a funny warning towards college students,” Cho said. “When we first started doing these movies our fan base was in college, so now a lot of our fans are out in the world with jobs. For this movie, it was fun to see where both of the characters went and how friends can take such different paths in life.”

But the best part of the adventure? Experiencing it in 3D.

“If you’re going to go see the third movie, presumably you’ve liked the first two and the characters,” said Kal Penn, who plays Kumar. “But this time, seeing it in 3D makes you feel like you’re inside the movie as opposed to just watching it as an audience member. You get to really experience the emotional arch that the characters go through.”

The movie will balance out the romantic comedies and family dramas that are sure to hit the box office each Christmas. “A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas” will be sure to add a laugh to the Christmas lineup.

“Really the point is, for me, to make an event out of going to see our movie,” Cho said. “Harold and Kumar has always been a DVD phenomenon, this is a great excuse to go with your friends to a theater and make an event out of it and I think it is all the more fun that way.”

View the trailer here.