Letter to the Editor: Tenure denied, no transparency

The denial of tenure to Dr. Sabiyaha Prince raises questions about AU's commitment to diversity

American University is an institution committed to higher learning, diversity and creating change in our D.C. community and the world alike. Like many AU students and alumni, I am proud of the work we do as community. We are a group of committed, intelligent and compassionate individuals, from students to faculty to staff, who strive for more each and every day.

While I realize and appreciate the efforts of our university administration, I cannot help but wonder why there seems to be such a disconnect between students and the administration.

Students, faculty and staff are what give this university life. Yet, the Board of Trustees, the provost and the president have disproportionate power and influence.

While I certainly acknowledge the importance of these entities, I find it troubling that there is such a disparity of influence between students and the administration, especially in the tenure process and here is why.

Recently, Provost Bass denied tenure to Dr. Sabiyha Prince, an African-American cultural anthropologist, and President Kerwin denied her subsequent appeal.

In spite of over 12 years at AU, high student evaluation scores and the recommendation of the anthropology department, Provost Bass, along with President Kerwin, single-handedly dealt a blow to our university by failing to retain one of the best professors at AU.

What’s more is that this was an opportunity to diversify our faculty by ensuring that Dr. Prince would be retained for years to come. Instead, if she decides to leave, which I would completely understand, a void will be left.

Who will continue to mentor her countless graduate students seeking their doctoral degrees? Who will represent her unique point of view and her persistence in raising awareness to structural inequality in society and academics to undergrads?

Dr. Prince is a proven contributor to our community, to AU and to her students. Yet our administration turned their back on her and on us.

Accountability and transparency are two of the most important traits when considering the inclusivity, impact and depth of a university. So why is it that AU seems to have neither?

In many ways, universities are microcosms of our society as a whole; they represent a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, individuals, values, opinions and socioeconomic statuses, to name a few.

While I applaud AU on creating an engaged, active and accepting community, more needs to be done.

The lack of diversity in our faculty is appalling. According to University statistics, it is comprised of nearly 80 percent (588 out of 750) white professors.

This is simply unacceptable for an institution that lauds itself on diversity. And when given the opportunity to make meaningful changes for the better, why does the AU administration seem inclined to represent their narrow point of view?

Dr. Prince may not represent a widely accepted point of view but she is intelligent, understanding and inclusive of each and every one of her students.

I have to wonder if Provost Bass and President Kerwin ever considered the detrimental affects their decision would have on Dr. Prince’s students and our university as a whole. Or were they just looking out for the University’s bottom line, whatever that may be?

While the facts of Dr. Prince’s denied tenure may not be privy to anyone besides our provost and president, our University administration should be held accountable for the decisions it makes that ultimately impact students.

This isn’t about money, this isn’t about politics; this is about what is right.

What I know is that Dr. Prince had a positive impact on my life, on our community and on her academic field. For our University administration to not recognize Dr. Prince’s tireless efforts for this University and its students is not right. For our University administration to not work to diversify our faculty is not right.

If the administration cannot reveal to its students its rationale in the tenure process, then they should be conducting forums on diversity and what is being done to diversify our faculty, from race to sex to gender to academic fields and points of view, to ensure that AU is an institution committed towards adapting to an ever changing world.

What I know is right—and what we must demand as the students who make this University—is accountability and transparency from our University administration on the decisions that directly impact our lives.

We must desire more as a student body, and it starts with us. Dr. Prince deserves better—we all deserve better—in making this University the best it can be.

Shea Baker, Class of 2012, SPA