Kimya Dawson brings lovable folk to Black Cat

On Friday, Nov. 11, the Black Cat will be graced with a set from Kimya Dawson, joined by Your Heart Breaks and Spoonboy, for a night of low-key and clever music.

Singer-songwriter Dawson, hailing from Olympia, Washington, delivers powerful lyrics that are somewhat downplayed by her soothing voice accompanied by piano and guitar melodies. From her success on the Juno soundtrack with tracks such as “My Rollercoaster” and “Loose Lips,” Dawson has continued to produce easy-going, lo-fi music for her fans with two more recently released albums. “Thunder Thighs” features collaborations with Aesop Rock and The Strokes’ Nikolai Fraiture, among others. In contrast, Alphabutt offers an array of children’s music, highlighting Dawson’s motherly inclinations after she had her first child.

Before going solo, Dawson was Adam Green’s counterpart in The Moldy Peaches, a duo that benefitted from the combination of Dawson’s child-like voice and Green’s equally relaxed vocals, whose material doesn’t stray far from the music that Dawson now produces. Before going on a hiatus, The Moldy Peaches cranked out such popular tracks as “Anyone Else But You” (also featured in Juno) and “Lucky Number Nine.”