Antico’ displays bronzes of famed Italian sculptor

The National Gallery of Art’s “Antico: The Golden Age of Renaissance Bronzes” is a testament to the durability of bronze.

The exhibit, which opened Nov. 6, showcases the medals, reliefs, busts and statuettes of the famed sculptor Antico, who lived and worked during the Renaissance period.

Born Pier Jacopo Alari Bonacolsi, the Italian sculptor earned the name “Antico,” which means “the ancient one,” for his imitations of ancient masterpieces. He was not renowned for his creativity, but instead for his accurate reproductions and unique methods.

The exhibit, located in the East Building of the National Gallery of Art, is housed within two rooms.

However, these two small rooms display nearly 40 pieces by Antico and two of his fellow court artists. The works are grouped by subject matter and form, making the exhibit easy to navigate. Busts and urns sit on intricate tables and pedestals, while statuettes are contained in well-lit glass cases.

The exhibit effectively explains Antico’s inspirations and methods.

Descriptions next to each work provide historical background and theories on the origins of the work.

The exhibit features prints that Antico may have used as models for his works and showcases two of the original works that he used to create his imitations.

The side-by-side comparison of the original and Antico’s imitation allows the viewer to understand the sculptor’s unique genius.

The original marble bust that provided inspiration for Antico’s “Young Man” is worn and softened by age. In contrast, Antico’s bronze bust is crisp, clean and defined, despite centuries of wear. The curls that adorn the head of his bust seem to move. Its feathery mustache and pair of sideburns look oddly out of place, but also provide an example of the small details that make Antico’s imitations unique. His bust is also enhanced by his trademark silvered eyes, which are simultaneously impressive and alarming.

Antico’s works have ensured that the artistic masterpieces of ancient civilizations will not be forgotten. While these original marble masterpieces may become worn or broken, Antico’s works of bronze will live on.