Ambassador Rao discusses India's strengths, weakness

Nirupama Rao, the Indian ambassador to the United States, discussed the uniqueness of her nation and how that singularity allows India to attack the world’s problems in a speech Nov. 9.

“India today represents a unique model of development in the world,” Rao said in the School of International Service building. “Nowhere else can you find a country of India’s diversity or complexity.”

Rao’s speech ran the gamut, as she delved into economics, energy independence, agriculture, health care, nuclear non-proliferation and even Somali piracy as it relates to India, a nation of over 1.2 billion people.

Rao talked about how India is heavily involved in reversing global climate change and becoming energy independent, a stance she encouraged other more reticent nations to adopt.

“In addressing the shortfall in meeting our energy requirements, we do not intend to follow the ‘business as usual’ approach or the conspicuous consumption pattern that exists in some parts of the developed world,” Rao said.

Another area where India has taken the lead is in the economic sphere, even during the global financial crisis, Rao said.

“While we have been able to sustain our economic growth, we do remain aware of and vulnerable to the international financial and economic crisis,” Rao said.

Although Rao talked about many of India’s strengths, she did not shy away from discussing its weaknesses either.

Rao said India has net yet fully resolved several issues, including terrorism, income inequality, corruption and lingering disputes with bordering states.

“India lives in a complex neighborhood,” Rao said. “Our relationship with China and Pakistan is marked by issues left over from history.”

However, Rao remained hopeful that continued work and cooperation with nations like the United States could help to attack these problems, she said.

“India has advocated and will continue to advocate for the development of an inclusive world order where all major stakeholders can work together to strengthen our overall security and well-being,” Rao said.

She concluded her speech by encouraging AU students to study India. The India-United States relationship is one that will dominate foreign affairs for some time to come, she said.

“I’m particularly inspired by the fact that American University has sought, in a very focused manner, to intensify its engagement with India,” Rao said. “I think now is the time to pick it.”

Rao, 60, became India’s American ambassador in August 2011 after previously serving as India’s foreign secretary from 2009 to 2011. She is also a published poet.

After Rao’s speech ended, the crowd lined up for Indian delicacies, including samosas, mango lassi and chai tea, provided by the Kennedy Political Union, the South Asian Student Association and the American University Club Council, who co-sponsored the event.