'Nevermind' 20th anniversary edition is a must-have for Nirvana fans

It’s been 20 years since “Nevermind” was released and “Smells Like Teen Spirit” reached No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100.

At the release party for “Nevermind,” grunge band Nirvana’s sophomore album, lead singer Kurt Cobain smiled wryly when Geffen Records told him that the album might sell 100,000 copies. At best, Geffen hoped that “Nevermind” would sell 250,000.

What happened next no one had ever anticipated.

“Nevermind” brought Nirvana to worldwide attention and critical acclaim.

In honor of the 20th anniversary of the album’s release, the music community has paid tribute to the album in a number of ways, and Geffen has delivered a behemoth of a rerelease Sept. 27.

The 20th Anniversary Edition features all of the original release’s tracks, as well as out-takes, alternative versions of songs, B-sides and radio sessions. It also comes with the original recordings done by producer Butch Vig before producer Andy Wallace (best known for producing the Run-DMC and Aerosmith collaboration “Walk This Way”) mixed them.

Needless to say, the “Nevermind 20th Anniversary Edition” comes with plenty of extras that any Nirvana fan can sink their teeth into.

Additionally, Spin Magazine organized a track-by-track cover album of “Nevermind.”

The album, titled “Newermind,” features 13 bands offering their own takes on Nevermind and includes Titus Andronicus covering “Breed” and Surfer Blood doing “Territorial Pissings.”

On Sept. 20, Krist Novoselic, bassist and co-founder of Nirvana, organized a tribute show in Seattle. It featured nearly three hours of music with performances by The Presidents of the United States, The Fastbacks, Tacocat and many others. Novoselic himself participated in several songs, most notably “On a Plain” and “Sliver.”

Since its release party, the Recording Industry Association of America has certified “Nevermind” Diamond. This means the album sold over 10 million copies in the United States. It has sold over 30 million worldwide, making “Nevermind” one of the highest-selling albums in history.

With the release of “Nevermind,” Cobain suddenly became the spokesperson of Generation X. His personal life became public domain. Cobain would struggle with his public image as depicted by the media for years. This is often the price for worldwide recognition.

In April of 1994, Cobain joined the “27 Club,” the title given to legendary musicians who all died at 27, alongside Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones and Robert Johnson. He took his own life in his apartment in Seattle, Wash. Despite Kurt’s sudden and tragic death, Nirvana and “Nevermind” live on.

To this day, he remains one of the most iconic and prolific songwriters in history. He was a symbol, an idol and a spokesperson for a generation that needed guidance. His profound influence on the music industry and the world will never be forgotten.

Nirvana fans everywhere should go get their 20th anniversary edition of “Nevermind” today and experience the album like they never have before.