Menswear made easy

When thinking about the clothing men wear, two categories usually come to mind: the first, classic and conservative, just within the bounds of a J.Crew catalogue. The second, edgier, with a hint of high fashion and personal flare. While most men remain in the former category, there are plenty of guys around campus who embrace the latter.

Ezra Menelik, a freshman studying public communication in the School of Communication, has developed a style all his own. “Men’s fashion itself is so cookie cutter, and there is a paradigm, a template almost where you can only wear ‘this and that,’” Menelik said. “For women, it’s a little easier.”

By combining classic, tailored pieces with unexpected details, Menelik strikes a balance between a sophisticated yet distinctive look.

“Sometimes at a store I can go into the women’s section and find things that aren’t specifically for women, but that a man can easily add into his wardrobe.” Menelik said. “I also pick up a lot of accessories like pins or bags because it’s easy for me to incorporate those into my closet.”

He acknowledges the challenge in developing a personal style and recommends reading blogs and magazines for inspiration.

“I collect Nylon, Vogue and Elle, and even though the editorials usually feature all women, I can still get inspiration from that,” Menelik said.

While Menelik shops at Zara, Gap and Nordstrom for many of his basic pieces, he turns to a few local D.C. stores for more unique items.

“I like to seek out the ‘hidden stores’ when I’m looking for something out of the ordinary,” Menelik said. “Some of my favorites include Redeemed in Logan Circle, Dr. K Vintage on U Street and Lost Boys in Georgetown.”

Whether you shop at H&M or Neiman Marcus, Menelik believes that fit is one of the most important parts of creating a successful look.

“If I can trace my timeline back, I can definitely observe the increased sophistication of my personal style,” Menelik said. “I’ve learned that the cut and tailoring of a piece makes all the difference.”

With autumn quickly approaching, he plans to stock up on some of his favorite trends for fall.

“I’m really excited to wear big, knitted, chunky scarves, trench coats, navy blue blazers with gold buttons, boots … I could go on and on,” Menelik said. “I prefer dressing for fall.”

Menelik dreams of one day working for a Parisian fashion house, following in the footsteps of his role model, Karl Lagerfeld.

“I really love Lagerfeld because I feel like he embodies that designer depth that people don’t know exists behind fashion,” Menelik said. “He’s a designer that really knows and understands the history of fashion.”

Regardless of what the future holds for him, one thing is certain: Menelik will continue to make menswear cutting-edge, dressing one step ahead of the curve.