John Legend.

KPU to bring R&B star John Legend to Bender

R&B singer John Legend will bring his twin passions of music and activism to American University’s All-American Weekend. The Kennedy Political Union will host Legend, who will speak about his philanthropic work and perform at Bender Arena on Saturday, Oct. 22.

Legend is best known as a nine-time Grammy award-winning pianist and vocalist. The Berklee School of Music graduate has released three albums, all of which reached the #1 spot on the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop charts and earned him Grammy awards for Best New Artist, Best R&B album and Best Male R&B Performance.

Last year, in a departure from his previous albums, Legend collaborated with hip-hop group The Roots on “Wake Up,” a compilation of ’60s and ’70s funk and soul covers. The songs included on “Wake Up” centered on the themes of social consciousness and awareness, and Legend’s one original song on the album, “Shine,” also won the Grammy for Best Male R&B Performance. Legend’s most recent release gives insight to his passion for social activism.

Though not as well known as his music, Legend’s philanthropic works are equally as impressive and influential.

In 2007, Legend founded his Show Me campaign, named after his song “Show Me.” The lyrics took the form of a prayer and asked simple questions about what we can do to relieve suffering in the world.

Legend has shown his commitment to answering this question through the campaign, a nonprofit dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty through education in both the United States and on a global scale.

Through the campaign, Legend personally visits elementary schools around the country, encouraging kids to stay in school and bringing attention and praise to successful programs.

Additionally, Legend’s Show Me Fellows provides stipends for activism-minded college students who have unpaid internships in international development and education.

Legend’s philanthropic works have won him as much commendation as his music, earning him the 2010 BET Humanitarian Award, the CARE Humanitarian Award for Global Change and the Africare Bishop John T. Walker Distinguished Humanitarian Service Award.

He also appeared and contributed music to The People Speak, a documentary based on Howard Zinn’s writings that focuses on social change.

Legend sits on the boards of Teach for America and the Education Equality Project and is involved with a number of other organizations that promote education and social reform.

From his brilliant music career to his dedication to activism, John Legend is one of the most accomplished popular figures in music today.

Don’t miss his appearance at All-American Weekend, which features Legend both speaking about his philanthropic works and working his R&B magic.

Legend will speak and perform at 8:15 p.m. in Bender Arena. Admission is free for AU undergraduate students with ID and $12 per family member.