Knowing what to eat for every college occasion

Stereotyping is bad.

Yet, I am pretty comfortable making the assumption that, by the time everyone has graduated from college, they will have pulled at least one all-nighter, taken at least one large test, attended at least one party and spent at least one Saturday morning hungover.

I would also be willing to bet that these things were experienced in that exact order.

Work hard, play hard. It is the typical lifestyle for many college students.

However, what you eat while cramming at 4 a.m. or before you decide five tequila shots are a good way to kick off the weekend can make a huge impact on your health.

Here’s what to eat to help you stay awake or stave off a hangover, take an exam or prep for going out.

All-Nighters: protein & fruits

While it may be tempting to reach for whatever sugar or carbs are closest when trying to pull an all-nighter, these are actually going to have the opposite effect you want.

Sugar will provide a temporary jolt, but it can make you distracted and jittery and can lead to a major crash quickly after.

Carbohydrates are also tempting, but again the wrong route as they only prepare your body to exert energy, meaning if you don’t exercise, you don’t get to reap any energy potential.

Carbs also tend to send high amounts of the hormone serotonin to your brain, which will make you lethargic. And when the point is to stay awake, this really doesn’t sound like a good strategy.

Your best bets are food high in protein. They kick start your metabolism to keep you awake.

Fruits — especially apples, grapes and bananas — also provide a natural energy rush from the high levels of glucose they contain.

Before an exam: omega-3s, amino acids & water

So you stayed up all night, but now it’s an hour before the big test and you don’t know what to eat.

Omega-3 fatty acids, most commonly found in nuts and fish (hence the “fish is brain food” sentiment) strengthen memory, concentration and learning, making them a perfect pre-test snack.

Foods high in amino acids, like eggs, beans and seeds, also provide a brain boost since they help you to maintain mental acuity and motivation.

Also remember that, for all the coffee you are inevitably drinking, drink just a much water to prevent dehydration, which can lead to headaches and nausea — not what you want during a test.

Going out: carbs & dairy

Now that the test is over, it’s time to celebrate.

And yes, finally, it’s time to enjoy those carbs, especially pasta which is the easiest and simplest way to prep your stomach for a night of drinking.

Dairy works wonders too, since it lines your stomach, slowing down the absorption of alcohol and neutralizing all the acid a night of drinking puts in your system.

As for the next morning, both fruit juice and water will be your best friend to ward off the side effects of the dehydration you are likely experiencing.

Fruit juice is especially helpful since it contains fructose, which prompts the body to more quickly get rid of toxins.

Coffee in moderation will ease your headache, since caffeine constricts the blood vessels in your head and thus reduces headaches. But be careful because too much coffee is a recipe for dehydration.

Honey is also a secret hangover cure because it is full of antioxidants, fructose and glucose.