9:30 Club previews

Cyndi Lauper/Dr. John

In one of the most eclectic pairings of the fall, legendary performers Cyndi Lauper and Dr. John join forces, in a tour dubbed “From Memphis to Mardi Gras.” The Memphis side belongs to Lauper, the idiosyncratic pop queen known for her biggest hit, “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.” Since then, Lauper has campaigned for GLBT rights, appeared on “Celebrity Apprentice” and appeared in the Broadway musical “The Threepenny Opera.”

Balancing out Lauper’s bubblegum pop with some Cajun spice is New Orleans singer-songwriter Dr. John. With a stage name borrowed from a 19th century Louisiana voodoo man, Dr, John has been making his unique New Orleans-style rock and roll since the 1960s. Dr. John’s live shows feature elaborate stage theatrics with Mardi Gras flavor.

Mat Kearney

One of the hardest-working singer-songwriters in the music business, Mat Kearney is set to bring his signature croon to the 9:30 club. In 2006, Kearney’s sophomore album “Nothing Left to Lose” gained him critical acclaim, and he slowly began to build a loyal fanbase as he toured in support of artists like John Mayer and the Fray. With his headlining tour this year, Kearney will debut songs from his third album, “Young Love.”

Battles

For the perfect mischief night activity, don’t miss the ever-entertaining math rockers Battles. The NYC foursome released their first album “Mirrored” in 2007, acclaimed as one of the best albums of the year. The band’s future seemed uncertain when vocalist Tyrondai Braxton called it quits last year. But instead of breaking up, Battles recruited a handful of guest vocalists and released their excellent second album “Gloss Drop” in June. The album features the infectious single, and song-of-the-year contender, “Ice Cream.”

St. Vincent

2011 so far has been a year of stellar album releases from female artists. “Strange Mercy,” Annie Clark’s third album under the moniker St. Vincent, may be the best of the bunch. Clark, a Berklee School of Music dropout, cut her teeth as a former member of the Polyphonic Spree and Sufjan Stevens’ backing band, and has developed a fiercely unique musical style over the course of three near-flawless albums. “Strange Mercy” features lush instrumentation layered over ominous lyrics, and Clark’s dizzying power as a live performer is a joy to behold. St. Vincent’s appearance at the 9:30 club is a must-see for any true live music fan.