A step up from popcorn and soda

As a lover of both film and food, I am proud to say that some of my favorite meals have preceded and followed great movies.

Delirious with hunger after sitting through three and a half hours of “The Return of the King,” I enjoyed a delicious stack of pancakes at IHOP.

Just this summer, I had a delightfully French evening of steak-frites at Mon Ami Gabi in Bethesda before a late showing of “Midnight in Paris.”

Here are some great places to nosh before or after a flick pick.

Bethesda Row Cinema

Metro: Bethesda (Red Line)

Bethesda boasts one of the best culinary streets in the Washington area, many just a few steps away from Bethesda Row Cinema.

Sushi lovers will enjoy the bento boxes at Raku, while seafood aficionados will love the spicy Thai and Mussels Provençal at Mussel Bar.

Just around the corner, the aforementioned Mon Ami Gabi is a great spot for Francophiles looking for a classic dish of steak with Béarnaise sauce and a heaping pile of crispy frites.

Then, grab some frozen yogurt at Sweetgreen for a tasty nightcap.

Landmark’s E Street Cinema

Metro: Metro Center (Red Line)

Nothing’s better than a large order of seasoned french fries after a stuffy foreign film, no?

Whether you agree or not, Ollie’s Trolley fries, sprinkled with a delicious blend of 26 herbs and spices, are not to be missed.

Indulge in a little comfort food at Waffle Shop, a greasy spoon that rivals The Diner in Adams Morgan.

Or, for dessert lovers, pistachio or pumpkin pie ice cream at Giffords will satisfy any sweet tooth.

AMC LOEWS Georgetown

Metro: Foggy Bottom-GWU (Blue/Orange Line)

Just a little ways from the theater is Farmers and Fishers, a contemporary American joint that serves everything from slider burgers topped with cheddar to “truck-style” Baja fish tacos garnished with cilantro and sharp cotija cheese.

J. Paul’s smoked-gouda mac ‘n’ cheese is a must-try, while Dean and Deluca, a gourmet grocery store, offers the best hot-food bar in all of Washington. Try everything from marinated mozzarella, sashimi, chicken salad and vegetable samosas.

But no Georgetown restaurant list would be complete without a shout out to Georgetown Cupcake, which still serves the best red velvet cupcake in the city.

Regal Gallery Place Stadium

Metro: Gallery Place/Chinatown (Red Line)

Having delighted viewers of “Top Chef” and patrons of D.C.’s Zaytinya with his culinary talents, Chef Mike Isabella doesn’t disappoint with his newest venture, Graffiato. Try one of the wood-fired pizzas like the White House, smothered with mozzarella, taleggio, ricotta, prosciutto and black pepper honey, or the hearty roasted potato gnocchi with pork shank and fresh burrata.

But sometimes you just need a cheeseburger. That’s why the marketing geniuses at Fuddruckers decided to put one across the street from the theater, enticing customers with the smell of seared meat. I found that a juicy bacon cheeseburger and “Shutter Island” was a surprisingly awesome combination.

For something sweet, try a Nutella, banana and strawberry crepe at Crepes On the Walk, just outside the Verizon Center.