DC: home to range of live music venues

Whether you are new to the D.C. music scene or a concert-going pro, there is no arguing that the District is a mecca for musical expression. From venues that attract Top 40 artists to small-scale cafés hosting open-mic nights, there is something for everyone.

» Merriweather Post Pavilion

Located 20 miles up the pike, this 40-acre outdoor venue requires either a hefty cab fare or a hitchhiker-friendly stranger with a car. However, this is definitely a must-see musical hotspot worth the trek to the boonies. With stadium-seating capacity for over 19,000 people, Merriweather Post Pavilion recently hosted artists like Mumford & Sons and Animal Collective, and features Bob Dylan, Fleet Foxes, Wilco and Yo La Tengo this fall.

In addition, Virgin Mobile sponsors a Freefest every September, a concert series that is — wait for it — free! This year’s high-profile event features the Black Keys, Cee Lo Green, TV on the Radio and Cut Copy, so good luck scoring a free ticket.

» Black Cat

The Black Cat proves to be a slightly smaller venue with a maximum capacity of 700 people. But what it lacks in grandeur, it makes up for in accessibility. Located four blocks from the U Street Metro Station, the Black Cat is a hotspot for smaller-name bands with devoted followings.

Starfucker, Yuck and tUnE-yArDs will be hitting the main stage this fall, with dance parties hosted by a variety of local DJs taking over the smaller stage on non-concert nights.

» Red Palace

With three fully stocked bars and weekly Vaudeville-burlesque shows, there is no doubt that the Red Palace caters to an older audience. However, this kitschy venue is the ultimate stop for small-name indie bands, and the fall lineup features up-and-coming acts like the Dirty Guv’nahs, a Hawk and a Hacksaw and Megafaun.

Even if the headliner is unknown to you, the Red Palace is still worth checking out. With tickets generally around $10 and a capacity of 200 people, a cheap, intimate concert experience is guaranteed every time.

» Rock and Roll Hotel

Located a mere two blocks from the Red Palace, Rock and Roll Hotel is a hotspot for up-and-coming indie artists. Although you have to trek 15 blocks from Union Station or take three Metrobus transfers to get there, the R&R Hotel’s intimate atmosphere is worth the effort.

Artists from WU LYF to Tapes n’ Tapes will be taking over the main stage this fall. For the nights between concerts, local DJ’s turn this venue into a dancehall, perfect for a Saturday night.

» 9:30 club

A staple of the D.C. music scene since 1980, the 9:30 club brings to U Street artists from the likes of Girl Talk to Bon Iver to Peter Bjorn & John.

A brand new sound system and 1,200-person capacity makes the 9:30 club a diverse midsize venue that is Metro-friendly and perfect for any music-loving college student.

However, for those on a budget, the 9:30 club presents some challenges. In addition to ticket prices in the upper 20s, expect considerable fees when purchasing online. For the times when you can’t put a price on good music, the 9:30 club welcomes all with open arms. For the complete D.C. concert experience, stop by Ben’s Chili Bowl on the way home.