AU ranks as fifth most politically active college

Princeton Review downgraded AU to the fifth most politically active campus in the country Aug. 2, just a year after putting AU in the top spot.

George Washington University came in first place this year, followed by Georgetown University, New College of Florida and College of the Atlantic.

Princeton Review releases an annual guide of the “373 Best Colleges” in the nation, with college rankings by category.

Student Government President Tim McBride said it was “unfortunate” that AU fell in the rankings of most politically active students, but this new ranking will not change the political atmosphere on campus.

“We know we’re among the most politically active schools in the country, and we don’t need Princeton Review to tell us that,” he said.

AU also ranked in the Review’s “2012 Green Rating Honor Roll.” The list is comprised of 16 colleges nationwide that received the highest possible Green Rating of all the colleges surveyed by the Review. All 16 schools on the Honor Roll received a Green Rating of 99 on a scale of 60 to 99.

AU Director of Sustainability Chris O’Brien said he is glad the University is being recognized for its sustainability efforts.

“We have made progress across the board, from co-curricular programs like the Green Eagles … to greening our campus through waste reduction efforts such as increased composting, renewable energy production with our new solar panels and greener purchasing practices,” he wrote in an email.

AU also ranked tenth on the “best college towns” list and 18th on the “best career services” list.

jryan@theeagleonline.com