A guide to student leaders on and around campus

From recruiting captivating speakers to planning festivals to rallying and educating students, here are some Eagles you’ll see flying around campus making it happen.

Tim McBride – Student Government President – SPA 2013 With a class of 2015 composed of 30 percent domestic minorities, McBride said his primary focus will be meeting the needs of a diverse student body. McBride helped spearhead the Ethnic and Cultural Coalition to increase multicultural programming and unite multicultural organizations on campus. McBride also wants to make SG more inclusive by lowering the financial barrier to campaigns. While his passions differ from those of his predecessor, Nate Bronstein, he said his school spirit does not. Unlike Bronstein, he won’t dress as Captain American for events but said, “I’ll be wild, and I’ll be out there, and I’ll be painted.”

Liz Richards - SG Vice President – SPA 2013 As Vice President, Richards oversees the Kennedy Political Union and Student Union Board, but also has the onerous task of planning Founders Day and Artemas Ward Week. She said she will set up a strict budget to prevent future SUB blunders like the Cee Lo Green concert, which put the office $11,000 over budget. “One of the things that my department is trying to do is make sure that the events we put on are things where all areas of AU can come together and enjoy, and also kind of bolster tradition with,” Richards said.

Kevin Sutherland – SG Secretary – SPA 2013 As Secretary, Sutherland’s job is to communicate the image of the SG, which includes overhauling the often-confusing SG website. “The website is one of the big things I’ve been working on over the summer, to try and unify the look of the departments,” Sutherland said. “Every department had, like, their own separate site and the navigation wasn’t the same across all the different departments.”

Eric Reath – SG Comptroller – SPA 2013 As comptroller, Reath handles much of the budget and financial planning necessary to put on SG events. With a $50,000 surplus from last year’s budget, Founders Day is already set on the right track, and SUB has been granted $180,000.

Deon Jones – Commissioner on Advisory Neighborhood Commission – SPA 2014 D.C.’s ANCs are elected neighborhood bodies that oversee local matters such as traffic, zoning, economic development and liquor licenses. As commissioner and an AU representative in local government, Jones tackles issues like the AU Campus Plan to expand and improve university facilities. Jones said the best way to combat neighbors’ sometimes negative image of AU students is to be a “positive example of AU, continuing to show the community the good things that AU students do, whether that’s community service [or] campaign[ing] for D.C. candidates for office,” Jones said.

Danna Hailfinger – Director of Kennedy Political Union – SPA 2013 Hailfinger said her biggest challenge this year will be topping last year’s KPU speakers, including Dan Rathers and Chris Matthews. Colin Powell’s April speech even trended on Twitter in the Washington area. So far, KPU has the annual Capitol Steps performance lined up for Welcome Week, but Hailfinger has yet to reveal other upcoming speakers.

Ira Grylack – Director of Student Union Board – SOC 2013 Though the Cee Lo concert was a setback for SUB last year, Grylack has a favorite truism that he hopes will avert another last-minute hitch: “ ‘Proper planning prevents poor performance.’ I want to make sure that everything is planned out to the littlest detail as best as possible,” he said. Grylack, who plays drums, guitar, bass and whatever else he can get his hands on, is anticipating great performers for the upcoming year. “I think one of the best things you can do with your time is go and see some live music,” he said.

Matt Kabak – Student Advocacy Center – SPA 2012 Whether it be problems with Financial Aid, the Academic Integrity Code or residence hall regulations, Kabak wants students to know that SAC can be part of the solution. SAC, an SG office, offers free and confidential advice to students who come into conflict with the University. "I always hear student's stories after an experience with student conduct or Financial Aid and there are so many ways we could have helped them," Kabak said. Kabak also spoke with student leaders from Catholic University and Georgetown University about establishing similar advocacy centers on their campuses this coming year.

Brett Atanasio – Speaker of the Undergraduate Senate – SPA 2013 The Undergraduate Senate is made of 30 elected students who advocate for student interests and affect SG’s policies and budget. Among the tasks Atanasio will tackle as speaker through Sept. 4 is the Undergraduate Senate’s “image problem.” “Traditionally, students have a pessimistic at best, strongly negative at worst, view of the Undergraduate Senate,” Atanasio said. “I would hope to build a better relationship with the student body, whether that’s increased transparency or more face-to-face contact with senators.”

Anthony Dunham – Chairman of Judicial Board – SPA 2012 The Judicial Board primarily ensures actions by the legislative and executive branches fall within SG policies. Dunham said the role of SG, particularly the judicial board, is misunderstood. He hopes students utilize the judicial board to clarify policy, rather than constantly change it. “I would like to see the SG as well individual students make use of the judicial board as a stabilizing force within the organization so that it would prevent the constant turmoil that comes out of changing policy so often,” Dunham said.

lgiangreco@theeagleonline.com