Deandrew Hamlin

18-year-old found guilty for driving stolen Marcum car

The 18-year-old found driving late Professor Sue Marcum’s Jeep was sentenced to probation in D.C. Superior Court May 13.

Judge Robert E. Morin found DeAndrew Hamlin guilty of unauthorized use of a vehicle and sentenced him to 12 months probation, according to D.C. Courts Communication Assistant Tom Feeney.

Hamlin was arrested Oct. 25 after the Metropolitan Police Department found him in the stolen car, The Eagle previously reported. A police license plate recognition sensor detected the car in Northeast D.C. and notified a nearby MPD information center.

District police pursued Hamlin until he crashed into a signpost at the corner of New York Avenue and M Street N.W.

Hamlin’s arrest occurred the same day Marcum was found dead in her home in Bethesda in an apparent homicide, The Eagle previously reported.

Montgomery County Police Officer Amy Daum said the investigation into Marcum’s murder is still ongoing. She would not comment on Hamlin’s continued involvement in the case.

Montgomery County Police Spokesperson Lucille Baur told The Eagle in January that Hamlin was considered “a person of interest” in the murder investigation.?

jryan@theeagleonline.com