Summer blockbusters feature aliens, flying superheroes, animated pandas

Students picnicking on the quad and cramming into the quiet crevices of the library are the usual signs of summer at first blush here at AU. As we enter the home stretch of our spring semester and breathe a sigh of relief at having survived another year, we eagerly ready ourselves for the balmy days ahead. And with a litany of sequels, superhero movies and sci-fi adaptations in the coming months, it’s sure to be a memorable blockbuster season. Here are some of the most anticipated films of summer 2011.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II

J.K. Rowling’s internationally beloved fantasy saga is coming to a tearful end with the final installment in the film series, continuing with the noble hero Harry Potter and his battle against the malicious Lord Voldemort. Whether you’ve been rereading every book since the sixth grade or you’re just getting started on “Sorcerer’s Stone,” it’s impossible to ignore the importance of this film, which is sure to be equal parts epic and wistful. In addition to having made icons of Daniel Radcliffe and his retinue of Gryffindor housemates, the film series has received near favorable acclaim and has grossed billions of dollars. It’s no exaggeration to say that July 15 will be an indelible date in the history of cinema and pop culture.

The Hangover Part II

With its “Memento”-meets-“Bachelor Party” style of comedic storytelling, “The Hangover” was a surprise hit in 2009 and became a fan favorite for young people everywhere. Who could forget the cutaway gag of Stu (played by Ed Helms) singing passionately about tigers and “crystal meth tweakers,” or the scene where Alan (played by Zach Galifianakis) and friends get tasered by little kids? The sequel, which is set to be released on May 26, will feature the gang from the first film as they travel to Bangkok for Stu’s wedding, only to have their plans go awry yet again.

Cowboys & Aliens

Many people weren’t sure what to make of this upcoming sci-fi Western when they first saw the preview for it in theaters earlier this year. Based on a graphic novel of the same name and starring Daniel Craig as an amnesiac named Jake Lonergan, this film is set in the fictional town of Absolution, Arizona. Lonergan is treated as a common criminal in Absolution until aliens invade the region and the townspeople are forced to band together to fight off the extraterrestrial menace. Sure, the concept seems overwrought and cheesy, but with Jon Favreau of “Iron Man” fame at the helm of the project, it’s certain to be a viscerally enjoyable classic if nothing else. “Cowboys & Aliens” will be released on July 29.

Green Lantern

No other upcoming superhero movie seems to command as much clout as this upcoming DC comic book adaptation, a phenomenon possibly attributed to early releases of Ryan Reynolds sporting a tight green spandex suit. The film, set to be released in 3D on June 17, follows Reynolds as Hal Jordan, a U.S. Air Force pilot who is inducted into the Green Lantern Corps. as an intergalactic warrior. In typical superhero movie fashion, the film will feature Jordan doing amazing things while ultimately trying to understand his powers as he tries to defeat the mighty supervillain Parallax.

Kung Fu Panda 2

The original “Kung Fu Panda” was one of highest-grossing films of all time for DreamWorks Animation and received near universal acclaim by top critics, so a sequel featuring the bumbling yet ambitious panda Po (voiced by Jack Black) was bound to happen. Slated for a May 26 release, the sequel rejoins Po, now a kung fu master, and his animal friends in the Valley of Peace. Their new enemy is Lord Shen, a peacock who vows to take over China. With an all-star voice cast consisting of A-listers like Angelina Jolie and Dustin Hoffman, the second film is sure to be just as much a delight for all ages as the first.

scho@theeagleonline.com