Donna Brazile encourages female students to get involved with politics

Democratic National Committee Chair Donna Brazile has worked in 58 congressional campaigns in 48 states.

“Two more states and I’ll be Miss USA, without the bikini,” Brazile said to laughter and applause from AU students at an April 19 event, sponsored by the Kennedy Political Union and Women’s Initiative.

Brazile’s speech focused on inspiring young voters and women to get involved in politics, and she herself has been involved in politics since she was 9 years old. She has worked on campaigns from Al Gore to Jesse Jackson, and is currently the chair of the Democratic National Committee.

But her long years on the campaign trail haven’t made her jaded, just tough.

“I have been called everything, you name it,” she said.

She is not one to shy away from confrontation.

“I just like to stir them up, Tea Party Republicans,” she said.

Once, she challenged a conservative on the issue of women’s reproductive rights, saying, “Congressman, I hear you want to take away my birth control. If you take it away, I want your Viagra.”

Brazile stressed the urgency for Democrats to support progressive female candidates and provide a counterpoint to Tea Partiers Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann.

She believes the political landscape to be hostile towards women. Congress has tried to redefine forcible rape and is taking away women’s rights, Brazile said.

She said she particularly noticed sexist media bias against Clinton.

“[Clinton is] one of the most qualified women ever to run, and the media was still so blatantly misogynist,” Brazile said.

The way to correct this is to motivate women to be involved in politics, she said, adding, “we cannot allow others to write the script for us.”

Brazile also believes in the promise of the younger generation, saying that all millennials should believe in the power of their actions, citing the recent Arab uprisings as evidence that one person’s actions can make an incredible difference.

Several times throughout her speech, Brazile appealed to students to make a difference and “ride the wave” of political change.

“If you know that you want to be involved, you need to step up,” she said. “Why me? There’s no one better. Why now? Tomorrow isn’t soon enough.”