CONCERT REVIEW: After seven-year hiatus from music scene, fans finally get a slice of CAKE

It has been seven years since loyal fans heard the fresh sounds of derisive alternative-rock band CAKE. After taking some time off to set up their own record label, Upbeat Records, and tend to their personal lives, CAKE is back, and their return is nothing less than grand.

The band’s sixth album “Showroom of Compassion” debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top 200, making it the highest achieved chart position in their two-decade career. Three years in the making, it’s the band’s first material since the release of “Pressure Chief” seven years ago. “Showroom of Compassion” is also the first release through Upbeat Records.

A few weeks before their three-night series of shows at D.C.’s own 9:30 club, CAKE’s trumpet and keyboard player Vincent DiFiore discussed the band’s progress, new album and what these last seven years have brought in an interview with The Eagle.

DiFiore, with an amiable yet candid tone, stated that after the band’s release of “Pressure Chief,” they toured internationally to destinations like Japan, Australia and Istanbul, where they were greeted with much love and loyalty by fans. However, after a while the band knew it was time to leave and begin a new chapter. As he and his band members toiled away writing, arranging and performing their own music, DiFiore said their recently constructed solar-powered studio allowed them “the opportunity to listen to ourselves without the worry of deadlines because it’s our label now.”

After nearly 20 years, CAKE’s authentic and anti-genre approach has made their ever-inventive sound a thriving success.

“The inspiration always comes from [lead singer] John,” DiFiore said of the band’s musical creativity. “He expresses issues and our perspectives as a band in a very unique way — we’re a group of guys who share his views.”

In addition to the thrilling guitar, stunning trumpet and crisp vocals, the band’s true instrumentation success is in their resilience and their desire to play music.

“What always inspires me is how strong we are and how long we’ve been together...we adapt and roll with the punches, but always as a band,” DiFiore said.

This past weekend, the band played three sold-out nights at the 9:30 club, which attracted fans across all generations. The anticipation of the crowd, from young to old, as they set their eyes on the natural backdrop decorating the stage was coupled with the fanatic comments whispered among fans. The grandiose music ringing in the background just before the band’s entrance was somewhat of a throwback befitting of a classic “Stars Wars” adventure that even George Lucas would appreciate. CAKE, who did not have an opening band, played for nearly two hours to screaming crowds overflowing the venue.

Fans sang along to old school favorites like the ever-popular “Sheep Go To Heaven,” “Opera Singer” and “Wheels,” as well as some newer songs such as “Long Time,” the second single from their newest album. They also played “Sick Of You,” the album’s lead single which DiFiore described as a “Southern rock or honky-tonk” type of sound.

DiFiore added that they have been “performing 10 shows a month but are trying not to get burnt out. As long as we are healthy and happy we will continue to do this.”