AU announces 2011 commencement speakers

Bob Schieffer, Sen. Richard Lugar, Vera C. Rubin, Aaron S. Williams, Gene Sperling and Stephen N. Zack will be AU's commencement speakers this year.

AU announced today that Schieffer would speak at the School of Communication's graduation ceremony, Lugar for the School of Public Affairs, Rubin for the College of Arts and Sciences, Williams for the School of International Service, Sperling for the Kogod School of Business and Zack for the Washington College of Law.

Lugar is the Republican leader of the Foreign Relations Committee and is responsible for massive nuclear disarmament for his part in creating the Nunn-Lugar plan implemented in 1991. He is the longest-serving senator in Indiana's history.

Schieffer is the host of “Face the Nation with Bob Schieffer” and the chief Washington correspondent for CBS News. He has worked at CBS for 40 years and recently published his fourth book, “Bob Schieffer's America.” He also anchored the “CBS Evening News” March 2005 to August 2006.

Williams is the 19th director of the Peace Corps, as of August 2009. He was previously a Peace Corps volunteer, serving in the Dominican Republic. Williams has also held leadership positions at International Business Development with RTI International, U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. Senior Foreign Service and the International Youth Foundation.

Rubin is credited with proving in the 1970s that dark matter is a common substance in the universe. She has done years of research at Georgetown University and currently works there as an astronomer. She also discovered Galaxy NGC 4550 in the stars rotate around the center of the galaxy in opposite directions.

Sperling is the newest director of the National Economic Council and Assistant to the President for Economic Policy. Sperling has also acted as an advisor to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner on tax and budget issues. Sperling previously served as director of the National Economic Council under the Clinton Administration.

Zack is the current president of the American Bar Association and the first Hispanic to hold that position. He has represented Vice President Al Gore - in Bush v. Gore in 2000 - and senator and former Governor of Florida Bob Graham.

zcohen@theeagleonline.com

More on this year's speakers at american.edu.