Movie Review- Limitless

Grade: C+ Scene Says: Brilliantly filmed, but ultimately shallow

If someone has ever suggested that life is “mind over matter,” then that same person would probably like “Limitless.”

Edward “Eddie” Morra (Bradley Cooper) is a down-on-his-luck writer whose girlfriend dumps him as he laments over his ex-wife. Ever watch a movie and wonder when you’re going to be fed the hook? Right about the time where one should wonder if caring about Eddie is worthwhile, in comes Vernon (Johnny Whitworth), Eddie’s ex-brother-in-law. Vernon offers the promise of this drug nicknamed ‘NZT,’ which allows the user to access 100 percent of their brain, rather than the normal 20 percent.

In between the time “Limitless” starts and the time Eddie takes his first NZT, the film is in muted blue tones. Everything is drab, and nothing looks exciting, even for New York City. When NZT takes effect, it feels like a lighting technician was finally invited to the set. It’s as though people simply wander through life until this drug takes effect, and then suddenly everything becomes clear.

Within a day, Eddie cleans his shabby apartment and makes major headway in his book, thus impressing his editor and leading to a succession of fortunate events. Shady fortune comes across Eddie’s path, and he obtains a long-term supply of NZT, thus ensuring the hook of the movie. Eddie borrows money from a bookie, then buys stocks that make him some serious capital. Eddie even makes good with his then-estranged girlfriend.

This earns Eddie the attention of Carl Van Loon (Robert De Niro), a powerful owner of an energy company. Carl is planning a merger with another company and Eddie — when on NZT — is a formidable resource to tap. For Eddie, the money he’ll earn from the merger will facilitate his end-goals, which are not apparent until the end of “Limitless.”

The film is quite compelling, and director Neil Burger (“The Lucky Ones,” “The Illusionist”) creates an atmosphere where characters are believable. On top of that, viewers will care about the characters. De Niro once again proves that he can sell any movie. Once he’s introduced, his presence is felt even when he’s off-screen.

The film’s ending is quite satisfying. The film is intended to make people consider what they can do if they apply themselves. Perhaps that is something that people should take to heart, although perhaps not.

This is cinema for pure escapism. When watching “Limitless,” sit back and let the movie take you for a ride.