Moments of pleasure found in the Bard’s problematic play ‘Measure for Measure’

When Shakespeare’s plays are adapted or given new concepts, it is a little difficult to anticipate what exactly you’re going to see.

The AU Department of Performing Arts’ production of “Measure for Measure” was given an urban setting, garnished with hip-hop dance numbers and a graffiti set. Through the show, the audience was given the feeling that they were on the streets with the characters as they bumbled through the Shakespearian comedy.

The company is composed of a large amount of freshmen who are not normally given such big opportunities their first year in the department.

Freshman Chris Cherin took on the role of Angelo, the show’s villain who tries to take the virginity of the female lead, played by junior Jane Dempsey. The audience collectively squirmed uncomfortably as Cherin removed his suit jacket while attempting to seduce Dempsey.

This motley crew came from all corners of AU. Performers were not only theatre majors. The cast had students majoring in mathematics, broadcast journalism, philosophy, film and various other disciplines. Michael Yarnell, a junior majoring in biology, made himself quite at home on the stage as Lucio, a foppish Southern playboy. Yarnell could not only dance but made excellent use of Shakespeare’s words to tickle, and at times, violate the audience.

Michael Litchfield, a rising junior in the Department of Performing Arts, gave an excellent performance as The Duke who then disguises himself as quite possibly the creepiest friar the urban streets could produce.

Dempsey couldn’t have had a better moment in the play than at the end, when Litchfield asks her for her hand. Calmly, she walked toward him. She extended her hand for his. Then slapped him so hard the audience let out an audible gasp before howling with laughter.

Aside from occasional moments when it felt as though the actors were shouting at the audience, the cast of “Measure for Measure” put on an entertaining show. The ensemble had several shining moments.

There was Elbow, the slobbering constable with an almost painful lisp, played by freshman Julia Peltier. Then the mime and his interpreter, played by sophomores Pasquale Guiducci and Shannon Mcardle. And the two policemen with the elaborate handshake that went on for a good two minutes, played by Sophomore Anthony O’Tapi and Junior Sean Sidbury.

The urban setting was an interesting choice that fit the play, but the best part of the show was the ensemble. Director Caleen Jennings, AU’s resident Shakespeare expert cast the show’s ensemble before assigning roles. She no doubt found a group that worked very well and was able to put together a very good show.