Devotchka delivers eclectic 9:30 show

Devotchka and Mariachi El Bronx spiced up the roster of D.C.’s 9:30 club March 22, bringing some worldly flavor to the venue.

Mariachi El Bronx, is a California group that plays, well, mariachi music. They all wore traditional Mexican garb, and brought energy to the stage with songs like “Slave Labor” and “Quinceniera.” which featured guitars, maracas and lot of cowbell.

Watching the stage get set up for Devotchka was a show in itself as roadies tuned guitars, a mandolin, two violins and multiple horns (including a giant sousaphone) drum sets, an accordion and other instruments, totaling upwards of 20 instruments on stage. Then the four-piece Denver based band strutted out, bottle of wine in hand, and began with “The Alley” off their newest album “100 Lovers” before diving into fan favorites like “Queen of Surface Streets,” and “How It Ends,” made popular by “Little Miss Sunshine.”?

Devotchka blends eastern European music with Americana and Mexican influences. Violinists/accordion player Tom Hagerman (who sported a rabbi-in-training kind of look) was mesmerizing, and frontman Nick Urata played his many guitars with hypnotizing ease.

But what really made the concert a true Devotchka show were the curtain dancers: two scantily clad acrobats who dangled from high above the band on two long strips of fabric that dropped from the ceiling mid-show.

The set finished up with a well-earned encore with a Neil Young cover, followed by “You Loved Me” and “Ranchero.” Thus ending a thoroughly entertaining night. Seeing Devotchka live is necessary for any fan, although slightly unwieldy live, its in a runaway carnival train kind of way that fans will appreciate.

mwolfson@theeagleonline.com