AU students in Japan safe after earthquake, tsunami

No AU students abroad in Japan were harmed in the 8.9 magnitude earthquake and tsunami there on March 11, nor are they in immediate danger from the damaged nuclear reactors, according to Associate Director of Media Relations Maralee Csellar.

Four students are studying abroad at Waseda University in Tokyo and all are accounted for. Six students studying with the School of International Service’s Dual Undergraduate Degree Program at Ritsumeikan University in Kyoto did not feel the earthquake, according to Ethan Merritt, AU Abroad senior adviser.

“There are no plans to evacuate the students,” Merritt said. “We’re basically seeing how things develop and staying in touch.”

AU officials have been in contact with officials at Waseda and Ritsumeikan and also contacted students via e-mail and Facebook to ensure their safety.

Merritt said the largest issues right now are limited communication due to downed telephone lines, as well as problems with public transportation and traffic.

“Waseda has not sustained significant damage,” Merritt said. “Not much damage or injuries were reported from Tokyo in general … students were shaken up but are all fine.”

Both AU Abroad and Waseda officials are monitoring the situation at four nuclear power plants whose cooling systems have failed after power was cut off by the earthquake. The plant nearest to Tokyo is about 75 miles north of the city.

The program adviser at Waseda will reassess the situation Monday after speaking with Japanese government authorities, according to Csellar.

With a death toll of more than 1,500 lives, March 11’s earthquake is the worst natural disaster to occur in Japan in nearly 100 years, according to Japanese authorities.

rkaras@theeagleonline.com