Weather cancellations come day of class

Students shouldn’t expect to hear about any weather-related delays until two-and-a-half to three hours before classes are scheduled to start, according to AU officials.

There have been two weather-related delays so far this year.

The most recent one, on Jan. 27, caused tree damage throughout campus, with partial power outages at the Tenley Campus and the Washington College of Law. The Media Production Center on Main Campus lost power completely.

To see any changes on the academic calendar, more than five snow days would be required, according to Jorge Abud, assistant vice president of Facilities Development and Real Estate.

Crews are sent out on a priority basis to clear walks and roads on campus, first focusing on linking residence halls to the Mary Graydon Center so students have access to dining services and then focusing on paths to academic buildings.?

The decision to close or stay open is ultimately made by Vice President of Finance and Treasury Don Meyers, with a recommendation from Abud.

“We try to balance the newest conditions with getting the news to people as quickly as possible,” Abud said.

Abud looks at local road conditions, public transportation and what other area businesses and schools do.

“We look to see if we think that the roads will improve by roughly an hour before we open,” Abud said, so students off campus have extra time for their commutes.

He also watches the federal government’s status closely.

“They are such a large employer and tend to have to worry about the roads and transportation options more than anyone else has to,” he said.

Even if the University delayed, professors still have the option to cancel their individual classes.

“They get guidance on that from individual deans because each has different standards that they expect. From our perspective, the faculty has freedom to make those decisions,” Abud said.

kfroehlich@theeagleonline.com