DAYS OF LOVE— This Valentine’s Day, post up in your room with whomever you please to watch some memorable films of late that Hollywood has produced. Whether it be “500 Days of Summer” or “Love Actually,” have some tissues handy.

Five heartfelt movies to watch on Valentine’s Day, date optional

Cheesy romance films have always helped to grease the wheels in our own intimate lives with their cultural signifiers and incredulous scenarios. While some of us have grown to adulthood with a certain ache of cynicism, we here at The Scene believe in keeping with the spirit, and have come up with a list of romantic films to watch in honor of that day of Saint Valentine.

“Say Anything …”

Despite our overwhelming tendencies to scoff and mock, romantic films thrive on clichés, possibly because of how memorable they become with the passing of time.

No other film proves just that than this 1989 classic featuring John Cusack and Ione Skye. Who can forget the scene where Lloyd Dobler tries to win the heart of Diane Court by blasting “In Your Eyes” on his stereo with outstretched arms?

“The Notebook”

To some people, films based on Nicholas Sparks’ novels are the epitome of sap. They are so overwrought and dramatic that they make you want to gag.

Sure, the plot isn’t exactly subtle nor do the characters seem to show any dimension, but it’s that overly idealistic vision of love that serves as the focal point between the characters of Noah Calhoun (Ryan Gosling) and Allie Hamilton (Rachel McAdams).

“Love Actually”

“Love actually is all around” is one of the opening lines in this British comedy. As more than just an expression of two consenting partners, love is explored through a number of loosely interweaving stories, ultimately displaying itself as adventure, friendship, rejection, loss and identity.

Whether you’re a Type A personality who’s fallen for a coworker or a sexless dork who’s grown world-weary with rejection, there’s something here for everyone.

“(500) Days of Summer”

This ever-popular 2009 indie romantic comedy featuring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel has all the trimmings that appeal to our generation — the music, the off-beat cinematography and a coming-of-age “love story” expressed through insecurity and humor.

After losing Summer Finn, whom he believes to be the love of his life, Tom Hansen tries to win her back, facing recurring bouts of disappointment and realization.

“Amélie”

“Amélie” — both the name of this unforgettable, award-winning 2001 French film and the eponymous heroine — isn’t conventional by any means. Whether she’s talking to photos or counting the number of orgasms people are having at any given second, Amélie is an effervescent girl who finds joy in the peculiar.

After she discovers a childhood treasure chest and vows to return it to its owner, she resolves to devote her life to doing good things for others, getting herself into all sorts of mischief and finding love in the process.

scho@theeagleonline.com