Dorms to be separated by grade next year

Housing and Dining Programs plans to organize residence hall floors by class year starting this fall, according to AU officials.

The move is expected to create an environment more conducive to activities geared toward each grade’s needs, according to Director of Residence Life Rick Treter.

Under the plan, Letts, Clark and Roper Halls would house only freshmen.

McDowell and Leonard Halls would house sophomores and upperclassmen, who may apply for single rooms in those buildings.

The terrace, first and second floors of Anderson Hall, as well as Centennial Hall’s first and second floors, would be open to juniors and seniors. The rest of the floors would be grade-specific.

“With class levels grouped together, each of the residents will be exploring some of the same issues. This improves the quality and participation in these opportunities,” Treter said. “American has been a little bit lagging in it, but being able to move forward with that is something we’re planning on doing.”

This structure provides for “endless” activity opportunities, Treter said.

He believes freshmen and sophomores run into different issues during their underclassmen year.

Freshmen-specific programming would revolve around alcohol use, college transitions and campus involvement and sophomore-specific programming would focus on finding a major, studying abroad and internships.

With the consolidated class levels, activities geared towards these specific issues can be further developed.

However, the proposed floor plans may change due to high housing demand.

Treter said the process of consolidation began this academic year, using Letts Hall as a pilot. Letts exclusively houses freshmen, including students in the University College program.

Although some students say upperclassmen can serve as mentors to first-year students while living on the same floor, Treter believes the benefits of having freshmen and sophomores together outweighs this.

“Student organizations, cross-hall programming and educational opportunities have the ability to have that role modeling,” he said.

In the future, Treter said he hopes to create an area to house all first-year students together.

“Maybe with the construction of East Campus, there might be some type of community established, like first-years [in the main campus dorms], and second[-year] and above in East,” he said.

kfroehlich@theeagleonline.com