DAZED AND CONFUSED —  In 2010, a number of great documentaries were released without receiving much love from audiences. Many were piercing, social commentaries captivating the hearts of critics, but failing at the box office. One such documentary was Casey Affleck’s “I’m Still Here” which focused on the bizarre and ultimately fake breakdown of Oscar winner and aspiring rapper Joaquin Phoenix.

Praised documentaries receive critical acclaim, fall flat with audiences

This year in film and critique was of a rare breed. It is not often that we can look back in retrospect and feel that critics and audiences alike are on the same page. Subsequently, it was quite a nice surprise that movies as artsy and bizarre as “Black Swan” were just as well received as epic triumphs such as “Inception.” It’s difficult to find someone who did not love “The King’s Speech,” “The Kids are all Right,” “True Grit” and “Please Give” all seeming to be favorites of critics, film festivals, movie snobs and regular Joes alike.? But there was one genre that perhaps did not get the credit it deserved form the public. Whether it be due to lack of advertising, low budgets or obscurity, this year lacked praise of documentaries. This is especially strange because 2010 played host to an inordinate amount of the most bizarre and heart-wrenching documentaries.

“Restrepo”

The account of one platoon working to push back the Taliban in Afghanistan, was a frank, visceral and poignant work that took the viewer from their comfortable seat in a movie theater, stripping away politics, into the harsh reality of war. This film is a must see for any American, personalizing something many of us are so far removed from.

“Catfish”

If the “Social Network” told the origin story of Facebook, then “Catfish” showed the unforeseen effects of the networking site. This documentary came about by accident and follows photographer Nev Schulman as he discovers the darker, Twilight Zone-esque side of cyber relationships. This film, shot by his friends, is unnerving, bizarre, and ultimately tragic, — however to reveal any plot points would ruin its effects.

“Exit Through the Gift Shop”

This film follows a faux French filmmaker documenting the art of street graffiti as he experiences first hand the creative process and then goes on to create his own collection, all the while cheapening the art he obsessed over. This film was funny, off beat, and strange.? Whether or not it was made organically or as a critique to the “selling out” of street art, it is still thoroughly enjoyable and thought provoking.

mwolfson@theeagleonline.com