UNTITLED IVAN REITMAN PROJECT

‘No Strings Attached’ spins predictable romcom tale

With such a serious start to the New Year news-wise, a light-hearted Ivan Reitman film is much needed. It’s to our benefit that there just so happens to be such a film in the release of “No Strings Attached,” starring Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher.

Emma (Portman) is a doctor with a cold demeanor, and the film quickly establishes her difficulty handling the emotions of others. Adam (Kutcher) is the production assistant of a television program similar to “High School Musical,” but aspires to be a writer. In addition, Adam lives in the shadow of his father, a famous TV actor.

Through a number of highly unlikely encounters, Emma and Adam ‘run into’ each other. These encounters seem precarious plot-wise, but since they serve to introduce certain characters, the audience is forced to forgive these situations that ultimately don’t distract from the overall story.

After a session of drinking and drunk-dialing booty calls, Adam finds himself naked at Emma’s. One thing leads to another, and the two friends end up sleeping together. Shortly after, Emma proposes a ‘friends with benefits’ situation, which Adam is happy to accept.

Anyone familiar with Ivan Reitman films would be quick to point out that the funniest parts are the banter between the characters in the film. The same comic genius and timing have stayed true over Reitman’s career and shine in “No Strings Attached.”

Don’t confuse “No Strings Attached” for a breakthrough comedy. There are classic romantic comedy clichés like a relationship montage, quirky friends (guilty for both Emma and Adam alike), one person ‘suddenly’ realizing that they love the other and going out of their way to find them. It’s not that these clichés are a bad thing, and in many occasions, these tropes can be done in new ways, cleverly or completely subverted. However, this film does not provide that – also typical of Ivan Reitman.

No one watches “No Strings Attached” for the fantastic acting of Ashton Kutcher, who removes his clothes frequently throughout the film. Portman had a more difficult challenge in the film portraying a medical doctor with an inability to emote as a relatable female character. As a result, she seemed inconsistently emotional throughout the film. If you’re looking for quality acting, you’ll notice it. Otherwise, her shaky performance can be overlooked. (It is Natalie Portman, after all).

In the end, if you want to watch a film full of yucks, “No Strings Attached” is a decent cinematic experience. Kutcher and Portman deliver some cringe-worthy dialogue like champs. In short, go see it for fun, not for its contribution to cinema.