THEFT CASE — Deandrew Hamlin’s court case moved from the Rockville District Court to the Montgomery County Circuit Court. Hamlin is charged with the theft of the late AU Professor Sue Marcum’s vehicle.

Marcum theft suspect’s case moves through Montgomery County courts

Deandrew Hamlin is considered a “person of interest” in the murder investigation of the late AU Professor Sue Marcum.

Detectives are pursuing a number of leads, according to Lucille Baur, a Montgomery County Police spokesperson.

Metropolitan Police Department officers found Hamlin driving Marcum’s vehicle Oct. 25. He was extradited to Montgomery County Nov. 25.

He is charged with one count of unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, one count of theft over $1,000 and one count of unauthorized removal of property.

“We still haven’t charged him with anything other than auto theft,” she said.

His theft case has changed courts in the Montgomery County, Md., judicial system, according to the state’s attorney’s office.

Hamlin’s case moved from the Rockville District Court to the county’s Circuit Court Jan. 3, according to Seth Zucker, a spokesman for the office.

Zucker could not comment on why Hamlin’s case moved, but said there will be a hearing Jan. 14 to schedule future court dates.

“Procedurally, that’s what’s happened,” he said.

School of Public Affairs Professor Richard Bennett said this is typical of felony cases in Maryland, because the district court can only hear misdemeanors.

“It’s not really moving up, it’s just continuing the process,” he said.

sdazio@theeagleonline.com